Mod involvement on forum- *Mac*

Hi Guys, not to rain on the Mac world, its where I started a long long time ago, I still defend it to bullish PC mouthpieces, but surely this forum is not your sole source for Mac-centric advice when using Cubase? I admit it is where I look first for advice, but if my searching is not effective here, Google is next… I can imagine so some extent your feelings of loss over the separate sub-forums, but is the new convergence so bad that you would leave?

As for the hardware, isn’t the PPC platform being deserted and on its way out across most software genres? Sooner or later you have to decide that your system stays as it is, or you have to get with the times. If you’ve been faithful to the DAW product this long, why not compromise and stay with what’s best?

Just thinking out loud with my finger-tips!

regards

Robin,

Yes the PPC world is now old technology and I fully understand anyone’s decision to no longer support it. I have no gripes with Steinberg or Yamaha on that issue and fully understand the decision.

But the decision to upgrade my computer in the next few weeks, also forces me to look at the rest as a whole:

The hardware: Mlan no longer really comptabile without major issues with Macintel and the new Mac OSX. So I need to choose new audio hardware. I understand the N8/N12 (which incidently my fellow band member uses with Logic) is really Cubase oriented and many of its features are not totaly functional with Logic.
The DAW:
a. Cubase never really ran that well on PPC because of major issues with multiprocessing on that platform. The result was limited channels and high buffers to avoid audio interruptions, especially when combined with the high CPU consuming Mlan technology.
b. Steinberg suddenly decide to ignore the obvious differences between the Mac world and the PC world and force a merger of the two worlds in a new forum. The result is, most of the Mac Gurus are gone and dearly regretted and I do not have a place where I can share and learn as I did previously…
The computer: I am a Mac diehard user since 1984! Sorry can’t change that… I have three PCs on my desk in the office and about five different Macs at home. I know what I want for leisure and pleasure, and music is my pleasure, so the computer choice is a new Mac. PCs as well as PC users are great for other things and I enjoy them in that respect (so please PC Users, no offence intended here!)

So:

1. Priority being for the Mac
  2. Steinberg sending a very odd and unwelcome message to the Mac community with the forum merger
  3. Yamaha/Steinberg decisions regarding the PPC platform (which again I fully understand) but that make me realise it is time to move on and up with hardware…

I want to go for the sure combination that will remain upgradeable for as long as possible (3 years, maybe 5…) before having to change and upgrade again.

Point 2 and 3 lead my choice away from Steinberg unfortunatly. I just don’t believe they are really commited to the Mac community anymore. I think I will stick with the DAW that is made by the manufacturer of the computer hardware I have chosen. At least I can be sure that the combination of the DAW and the hardware will match and that I will be treated as a Mac User.

I am sorry if all this rant is boring to some of you. Who really cares what some obscure forum member chooses as a DAW. I will try and not dwell further on this from now on.

PS: On a separate note regarding Logic vs Steinberg: As I was discovering Logic on my bandmember’s Imac, I realise that with C6 Steinberg are copying some of the neat features that were introduced several months ago in Logic (like the new guitar amps and guitar effects section in C6) …

No rant detected here… sorry you feel this way but it is what it is. Most informative. I need to read more from the Mac side to get my head around what’s real with respect to SB and that platform, best wishes in your decision.

Wavelab has been ported to mac recently,PG has been working on this project for years.That does not seem to me as a move to abandon this platform.
I use both pc and mac. Cubase works fine on both.The times i visited the mac forum were much less, i can assure you!If there is a bug on mac they are forced to fix it because the users have the same core machines more or less,they can’t claim it’s something wrong with your system.That was always the big advantage with mac. :wink:

They are not only abandoning PPC but also systems running Leopard,XP and Vista.Tough decision for Windows users too.It’s not a Mac thing.

I wouldn’t hesitate investing on a new mac running Cubase 6.
But i am sure you’ll get your job done with Logic too if you are open to new adventures.

And with that, the ‘Mac Forum’ curtain falls,

Aloha
{‘-’}