Modifier to temporarily disable ripple

I know there are shortcuts to switch ripple to off, track or global. But I was wondering if it was possible to add a modifier that you could press which would temporarily disable ripple when dragging. Releasing the modifier would then revert back to previous ripple status. Something like shift + drag.

Sometimes you just need to shift a clip without everything else shifting. Having to go through two shortcuts seems like some unessarily steps for a simple, one-off manurer.

Thanks
Steve

1 Like

Yes! I’ve been asking for this for years. While I do have shortcuts to turn Ripple Mode on or off, I’d love to be able hold a modifier key that just temporarily disables Ripple Mode while it’s being pressed.

I also recently did a one-on-one WaveLab consult with a WaveLab user that had another idea that is somewhat related:

A modifier to temporarily disable marker bindings for when we sometimes have to realign a new version of a source file to match the original sync of the original file. Being able to slide the new file around without the markers moving would be nice, especially if it can be done without affecting original marker placements.

Brilliant! This grinds me daily and I didn’t even think of it. Yes please!

Yes, I had the same experience. One of those things I just learned to deal with but would be nice to have a feature to temporarily disable them.

In a perfect world, updated mixes from the mix engineer or client would be perfectly in sync with the original file but that is often not the case for various reasons.

Is there a reason that “slip mode” (not sure what WaveLab calls it, that’s what it is in REAPER) doesn’t work in this case? That’s what I do.

For which request?

For Steve’s initial request, it is possible to use a shortcut to turn Ripple Mode On or Off but that feels more clumsy than a moodier key to momentarily disable Ripple Mode which for me is on 99% of the time. I usually find myself having to toggle the setting a few times to confirm which mode I’m in vs. which mode I want to be in.

Is there another option similar to Slip Mode in REAPER that I’m not aware of?

Sorry, meant to quote you!

A modifier to temporarily disable marker bindings for when we sometimes have to realign a new version of a source file to match the original sync of the original file. Being able to slide the new file around without the markers moving would be nice, especially if it can be done without affecting original marker placements.

In this case, I use “Slip Mode” (opt-cmd-left drag) in WaveLab, so long as the actual bounds of the clip don’t need to be adjusted.

I understand the interest of a modifier key for this or other usages.
But all modifier keys are currently used for something.
The only thing that comes to mind would be to have MIDI custom modifier keys such as “Midi Note On/Off”. In this case, we could have many.

Any other idea?

When I use opt-cmd the cursor shape changes but I’m not able to drag or do anything special. Maybe I’m missing something.

Even combining modifier keys such as SHIFT + COMMAND at the same time?

When I use opt-cmd the cursor shape changes but I’m not able to drag or do anything special. Maybe I’m missing something.

Ahh, maybe it’s because in WaveLab, unlike REAPER, you can only slip so long as the source audio is longer than the clip itself. (Whereas REAPER will simply loop the source back around.)

Here’s a video of how it works: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Hmm, that Dropbox link doesn’t appear to work.

OK, yeah. I see now. I never knew about this but for it to work, you need to shorten the length of the clip first and then it lets you slide the audio around within the clip.

For me that’s not all that useful but what would be nice is two new features:

1. A modifier key to momentarily override Ripple Mode.
  2. A modifier key to momentary suspend marker bindings when moving clips around.

Do you mean to have the linked markers steady and move the clip?
When would you use that?

Yes. A temporary mode that suspends markers that are bound to a clip when moving the clip.

Normally we would want the markers to move with the clip that the markers are attached to, but this special mode would be useful for when we replace a source file with a new file from our client and the new file has a different starting or sync point. It happens somewhat often, or just for different/alternate mixes that accidentally have a different sync point.

The solution that matthewbarnhart mentioned kind of works for some situations but it doesn’t seem to work in cases where the clip has not been edited in length.

I think @SteveKitch also had a similar use case for such a feature.

Unlike the Ripple request, isn’t this a relatively rare case? I would rather see a button On/Off rather than the use of yet another modifier key.

1 Like

A button On/Off that can be toggled with a shortcut would be very much welcomed to enable/disable marker bindings.

A modifier for the ripple request and a button/shortcut for the market request is good for me.

Also, an improvement on the “Slip Mode” (opt-cmd-left drag) would be good. So that there are no requirements for the audio to move.

What do you mean? opt-cmd-left drag is precisely done to move the audio inside the clip.