Monitor output of recorded track 15dB higher than recorded s

I’ve had my Steinberg UR44 / Cubase 7 LE / iMac setup for 2 years, and this is the first serious problem:

While recording, the input channel being recorded is getting fed to the output monitors 15dB louder than the level that’s being recorded.

Clue: When I leave the studio, I shut off the Steinberg UR44, and sleep the iMac. We had a power glitch during the night that caused the iMac to reboot. I’m only guessing that this related.

The problem affects Inputs 1 and 2 of the Steinberg. If I move the inputs over to Inputs 3 and 4, no problem with the monitor level. Has anyone run into this?

I went into Cubase and reset all the VST connections, but still have the problem. Help!!

I solved my own problem. Somehow the settings stored in the UR44 got whacked. I had to run the dspMixFx_UR44 program, and reset everything to the default settings.

I believe the problem was that the DSP was feeding my inputs directly into the outputs with an undesired high gain.

The other lesson I learned was, in the Cubase program, VST Connections panel, to save my INPUT settings into a file, and also save OUTPUT settings into another file. That way, when I switch between projects, I can standardize the VST Connections.

A final lesson was to use the “Save As Template…” capability, so that the naming of my I/O busses remains constant when starting a new project.

I recommend that, since Steinberg UR44 does not have a “reset to factory settings” function, it is wise to save the factory settings. When running the dspMixFx_UR44 program, there is a “STORE” button that saves the settings…if you take the time to do this, you have a simple means to restore the settings.