Monitoring a Render (using External Gear)?

I’m attempting to Render a Clip through my analog gear (using the External Gear plugin in the Master Section) while simultaneously monitoring the signal as it comes back via my HEDD. I suppose this would be possible if I had a monitor controller, but I don’t. Any ITB solutions?

Maybe you’re looking for this?
2016-11-08_17-17-28.png

Halfway there. I see that selecting this option enables the meters during rendering, however, I want to be able to hear the render as it is happening. Is this possible? I have one client whose tracks are frequently 20 minutes in length and I like to listen while I capture…just in case something goes awry.

Matt

I see. There is currently not such option. But it is planned.

That would be awesome. So far, the lack of this feature is the only downside I can see with waveLab.

Oh…and not being able to use the External Gear plug-in at the Clip level.

I, and a lot of others, have been asking for this from version 6 when external gear was introduced.
There is a workaround which is, record what is played back. Search for it.
Good to hear that it’s going to be implemented, but still, it should have been there a really long time ago…
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=38189&p=246017#p246017

Maybe version 10 will be the magic number!

Thank you for the suggestion to Record What Is Played Back. This works perfectly, but it does change how I planned to implement my workflow. I think now I would simply Add the new recording to the current montage, mute the original, and assemble the project. If I need to recapture my analog processing, I simply Re-Record and select Replace Audio File. Fades and Markers remain unchanged.

Any flaws to working like this?

Matt