Monitoring external effects in mixer

You’re not wrong Lydiot, this is what is shown in the picture. There has never been a special external effect channel. When you create an FX channel, pick up which ever you want ; Vst 2/3 FX, External FX, Dsp FX (UAD, SonicCore, TCelectronics, SSL), they’ll all appear under a normal channel strip.
An external FX can be mixed with internal FX on any type of channel. Only downside is the doubling of latency required by the signal roundtrip.

I don’t know what you’re doing wrong Jdugger, but you’re doing it. :slight_smile:

Smoking crack, perhaps? :wink:

So, what I remember – perhaps totally incorrectly – is external effects would be bus channels, not unlike how and input or output channel is represented.

I Judge(r) not… :wink:

You’re making me doubt now…
But anyway, you can use group channel to use FX (or external Fx), it’s even better since you can reroute more freely those group channels compared to Fx dedicated type of strips.

What happen when you create a normal Fx strip ? Do you see it ?
If yes, try removing the insert and swap it with your Ext Fx plugin alias.

I’m doubting my own memory more and more these days, but I pretty sure, having used external effects since v4 (but not having any hooked up at present) that I always monitored the external effects input gain on the device itself, and the return via a standard FX (or any other kind of) channel where that effect was used as an insert. I do not recall ever seeing an actual external FX bus, à la standard i/o busses.

Off to ingest some ginkgo biloba… or some crack.

Chewy

So, in the process of moving and rebuilding my studio, I also “upgraded” (ugh, long story) between Apogee AD-16x converters and the Orion32.

I’m wondering if my “memory” is confusing the reliability and easy-to-see peak indicators on the Apogee for meters in the software…

Crap. Now I’m wondering where I can get some outboard meters (ADAT or MADI) that won’t break the bank. Yea, right.

Right… you just jogged MY memory: I always had my external effects running through a separate AD/DA converter-- one with good meters. THAT is how I monitored my “out of the device” levels.

Thanks for the brain bump!

Chewy