Monitoring while punching in

Hi, I’m a new ur28m &AI user and I think it’s a fantastic unit.My problem is I can not monitor voice/instrument while punching in to repair or change a section.
I have direct monitoring enabled and tape machine style in vst preferences selected…I have used Cubase with Yamaha DSP factory 2416 since 1998 and was always able to hear the track and play or sing along with track.
If I upgrade to 7 with control room will I have this function back? I see people talking about work around of creating 2nd track,this doesn’t seem like a great solution to me.I’ve recorded in a few different studios thru the years,never saw anybody have to create 2nd track for punching.
thanks in advance.

Works fine by me. I use a cue mix. No need for a second track, turn on lanes, “Keep History” and cycle if required.

In addition to the Direct monitoring in Cubase Prefs; you can also elect to turn on direct monitoring (this regards the channel strip) on the UR28M itself using the routing switch if e.g. you want reverb on the phones while recording but not on the recording itself

Thank you Bri Har for taking time to reply. I am familiar with lanes ,and have channel strip with UR28 running fine no problems there.As far as setting up cue mix in AI I’m lost. There is no control room or studio setup in vst tabs of AI,so I’m thinking I need to upgrade to setup cue mix…

You don’t need to upgrade.

One of the great things about the UR28M is that it can perform a lot of the functions of the control room on it’s own.

Try this: Setup at least two stereo output connections (VST connections) routed to Mix 2 and 1 respectively.
Use mix 2 as your default outs and your main mix will output on this channel. Next, direct a send from select channels on the mixer to Mix 1. Now, when you listen to Mix 2 you’ll have the full mix, and on Mix 1 you’ll have a Cue mix with only the selected channels separately mixed with the level controls of each of the sends.

You might ask why I suggest routing the send (Cue) to Mix 1. You don’t have to, but the Phones 1 is hardwired to Mix 1 and I recommend using Phones 1 as the artist phones. I reserve Phones 2 which can be switched between the mixes as the Engineers phones.

Mix 3 can obviously be used as an alternative bus for connecting physical external effects (via routing or sends), or even as a second artist cue using a second send with the appropriate routing.