MONO Button on Master Fader

It would make sense to have this facility on an analog console when mixing live sound for a venue. My analog also has a Mono fader, but it is separate from the master stereo fader, and has a separate output, distinct from the stereo mains (allowing for a third channel feed to a subwoofer array for example).
Regardless, Mixing specifically for mono in a DAW is done differently, when done properly, and is something other than toggling mono for compatibility checks (or phase checks) which was the original reason for this request.

Anyway, youā€™ve made a request and thatā€™s your perogative. I among others donā€™t agree with it, and thatā€™s our perogative.
Thatā€™s what the forum is about.

Control Room is really nice. One of those features that, once you start using it, you canā€™t believe how you didnā€™t discover before. And you have also insert slots for each physical output, so you can load all your analyzers and measuring tools right there, instead of cluttering the master out. Also, for the mono button (and much more), Iā€™d recommend the free A1 Stereo Control plugin:

http://a1audio.de/index.php/a1stereocontrol

I remember I used to be stubborn about learning Control Room too.

How silly I felt.

I never thought I would need that thing. It has improved every thing I do now from a monitoring perspective. The main feature for me though, is that I can run limiters, spectrums, VU meters, Limiters, Ozone and other things, just to listen in context, without running anything on my actual stereo buss. And that chain is retained for every song. Consistency.

• this.

Control room can be useful. But it can also be fiddly and unnecessary if already using eg Totalmix. What harm could there be in having a dedicated mono button available for all stereo tracks? Unless youā€™re not bothering to listen to what you are doing!

Sorry, but I get really bothered by your tone.
I started writing a harsher response but refrain not to.
Are you a new/casual user or just uninterested of other possible workflows?

Not everyone uses a single stereo output when working.

The fiddlyness of the control room can easily be avoided. Please read the thread again and then just donā€™t touch what you donā€™t need or understand.

Besides. If you use total mix you already have a mono switch in total mix. If you use an external hardware monitoring unit it will have a mono switch. Thus no need of more MONITOR functions outside of the actual control room monitor section IMNSHO.

Well, a channel level pre (or post)-insert mono switch is another story.

That I can see use for. There are already requests for it, I think too.

Hi Erik,

Iā€™m really not sure why! I can only assume that youā€™ve inferred ā€˜toneā€™ that wasnā€™t intended. Itā€™s easily done on forums, in texts, emails and so on. Those who know me will tell you that Iā€™m a nice guy to talk to face to face :slight_smile:

No, Iā€™m neither. I use Cubase every day and have been using it for many years, alongside, less frequently, Pro Tools and Logic, amongst others. Iā€™m also very interested in the ability of Cubase (and other DAWs) to support alternative ways of working ā€” which was really my whole point. I prefer that Iā€™m not forced into a certain way of working and some people seemed to be saying that because one method exists (which I donā€™t consider perfect) then there should be no alternative method. By that logic weā€™d only be able to add tracks when in the Project page but not the Mixer ā€” itā€™s perfectly possible to have two means of doing the same thing!

I realise that, mostly because Iā€™m among those who use multiple outputs on a regular basis. But letā€™s not get onto the handling of multiple outputs, as this is an area where Cubase currently lets me down (eg inability to have External FX share physical I/O with inputs/outputs, and the poor system of recallā€¦)

Some of it can be, but not all. It is still one more layer of complexity, one more switch of windows I must make and so on. And itā€™s an invisible one in some circumstances too ā€” I canā€™t see anything of the Control Room features in the Mixer while Iā€™m using the (excellent) loudness metering; I have the choice to see that or the Control Room in the Mixer, but not both at the same time. And as I use the loudness meter a lot, thatā€™s a problem. A problem that would be easily solved either by the presence of a mono button on output channels or the ability to see both Control Room and master metering in the Mixer at the same time. I do not understand why people should object to anyone requesting such features ā€” I mean, I get why they might not wish for the same features, but implementing such things wouldnā€™t impact on any existing userā€™s ability to make use of the Control Room.

Thereā€™s no need to be angry or patronising. I read the thread before and I have a firm grasp of the issues being discussed. But Iā€™ve re-read it, seeing as you requested that I do so. Iā€™ve found nothing to change my opinion. Perhaps next time youā€™re so affronted by a comment, you might take the time to consider whether your inferences are likely to be correct, and refrain from using those inferences to establish false assumptions?

Itā€™s funny you should mention that: there are precious few reasonably priced hardware monitor controllers (Drawmer MC2.1 is one) that allow you to monitor in true mono (a single point source rather than dual mono), and even fewer software systems. Totalmix doesnā€™t do that, and nor does the Control Room. But I digress, as thatā€™s not the purpose of this threadā€¦

My main system uses an RME interface and itā€™s associated Totalmix software, yes. But I have more than one system that I use regularly. When in Cubase, I prefer to keep things simple, staying where possible in one window, and having keyboard shortcuts assigned to common tasks. Iā€™ll do edits and arrangement work in the Project page; switch to the Mix window for mixing, recording automation, back to the Project page for detailed editing of automation. And so on. I prefer where possible not to have to switch from these main views, as I find it much easier to navigate and thus a more efficient approach. To have to switch between applications, or switch windows within an application simply to switch stereo to mono for a moment seems to me to be an unnecessary step.

Whether Steinberg feel that it is a feature thatā€™s worth spending time on is a matter for them; itā€™s their product after all. I wouldnā€™t say that addressing this was a huge priority for me, but I do feel it would be useful and only a small change would be required to achieve it. You might not find it at all useful ā€” just as I donā€™t so many of the features suggested here ā€” but as it doesnā€™t inhibit your way of working, thats hardly a reason to argue against it.

Iā€™m sorry that I might have read more into your ā€œbotheredā€ comment than was intended.

But my basic opinion still stands. Monitor functions belong in the control room. Not on the channels themselves.
And Iā€™m quite ok with the fact that our opinions differ.
I can promise u that Iā€™m a nice guy to. Albeit a bit over-engaged at times.

Weā€™re all good then. Even if we disagree ā€” I still prefer everything within reach in just two windows, minimal clicks. The old tape machine/mixer (with integrated monitor facilities) paradigm. Perhaps Iā€™ll lodge a request to have the control room facilities and the master-bus metering visible concurrently in the Mixer windowā€¦

Wouldnā€™t this take up twice the real estate on a screen? If so, I am so not up for this. I am currently working with 1 screen (due for an upgrade to multiple screens when I can afford it) and thereā€™s no way I could have twice the space taken when I can simply click a Tab button to either look at the Master VU Meter or Control Room Panel. Or, use a Key Command so you can just bring it up and close it whenever you want? I have mine set to F13 at the minute.

I donā€™t see why it should ā€” you just allow them both to be toggled in the mixer just like any other type of track. Show/hide. Then you can have one, two or neither, as you wish. And hopefully be able to assign a shortcut key to do this tooā€¦

I must be missing something then because you can already toggle between Master VU Meter and Control Room. Just click the tabs above them.

^ This. You can tack the CR to the right of the master.

However, I take his point that the mono function should always be visible in each tab of CR. As a mater of fact, the way CR is broken up is a bit annoying.

You misunderstand. I want to have both visible at the same time.

So yes, I can toggle between them. And I can choose to have neither of them displayed in the mixer.

But I cannot have both visible simultaneously ā€” which is what Iā€™d like to see.

Cubase already has already a very good facility for determining which track types are displayed in the mixer ā€” so I donā€™t understand why a different system has been created for these two elements. Theyā€™re two separate visual elements that have been unnecessarily bundled together. Imagine applying the same logic to the display of, say, audio tracks and group tracks ā€” you could see audio tracks on the mixer or group tracks on the mixer, but never both at once.

Yes, so I am not misunderstanding anything then. It will take up twice the amount of real estate on a screen if you want both showing at the same time.

I get that you wouldnā€™t personally find it useful but I genuinely donā€™t understand your objection.

The system I describe would mean that both you and I (and anyone else) would have the option of configuring the display how we wish ā€” anyone could choose to have one thing displayed at once (same screen real-estate as now) or the other (same screen real-estate as now), both at once (takes up more space), or neither. Win-win. Whereas with the current setup only one of us gets our wish. Win-lose.

How about a compromise then?
When the Control room is active the functions are there as it is now.
If the CR is disabled, the mute button becomes active on the Output channel.
Hmmm another good use for a hover button :smiling_imp: :laughing:

If the use of the insert slot doesnā€™t bother ā€¦ wonā€™t clicking the power button of the insert involve the same # of clicks as clicking a dedicated mono button = 1?

If you want to see both the CR and the meter you can show one in the mixer and one separate, resize as need to create a uniform look. Not very hard.