Mono tracks to stereo group/FX sum to center

Hello all,

Please forgive me if I’m missing something obvious, but I’m having a problem with sending mono channels to to stereo effects and group channels. I also had this issue with Nuendo, which makes me suspect that it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, or failing to understand about the DAW’s routing structure. So, here it is:

When I send a pair of mono channels, such as drum overheads, to a stereo group or effect channel, no matter how I have the channels panned, they sum to mono (center) in the effect or group send, even though the send is stereo. This is a problem when I’m trying to apply a stereo buss compressor to overheads, or panned stereo background vocals, or guitar tracks, etc., and want my pan settings preserved.

What am I missing? The pan settings are preserved in the master stereo out buss.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

In preferences/vst select “Link Panners” for new tracks.

On existing tracks open the channel edit and select link panners from the drop-down on the toolbar.

1 Like

That did it! Thank you so much, Grim. That’s gonna save me a hell of a lot of sub-mixing. :slight_smile:

Regardless, you almost always want to use stereo tracks, even if you only place mono data in them, for stereo effects and for cases like the one you had here.

That’s a good point. Thanks!

Hooray for the search function!

I had this problem too! Thanks Grim for the explanation.