mono vs stereo track configuration

When I create a new audio track, the dialog gives the option to configure the track mono or stereo, but once the track has been made can it be switched between mono and stereo? I can’t find a way to do this. It seems that if I make a mono track, then realize I needed a stereo track, I have to delete the mono track and then make a new stereo track. Is this correct?

Second question: what’s going on with mono files on stereo tracks? A mono file on a stereo track plays out of both channels, and it seems to do that as soon as it hits the inserts. So a single mono file on a stereo track is played back like two identical mono files…please confirm.

Is there no way to have a mono channel that splits into a stereo channel partway down? (So you could have a series of mono plug-ins, followed by a couple stereo plug-ins). If this is the case, I guess the workflow in Cubase would be to have a mono channel run into a stereo buss dedicated to that channel. How do you guys do it?

Thank You!

It’s correct, currently there’s no way to switch mono/stereo. It’s a feature that has been in Cubase SX1 20 years ago, was removed and will hopefully finally come back in a future version.

It seems that if I make a mono track, then realize I needed a stereo track, I have to delete the mono track and then make a new stereo track. Is this correct?

You don’t have to delete the mono track but to get it stereo, yes, you have to create a stereo track and drag orr copy content there. At least it’s easy to copy settings, just drag the mono channel over the stereo channel in the mixer > all plugins get copied. Routing and automation, if there is some, gets lost though.

Second question: what’s going on with mono files on stereo tracks? A mono file on a stereo track plays out of both channels, and it seems to do that as soon as it hits the inserts. So a single mono file on a stereo track is played back like two identical mono files…please confirm.

A stereo track can carry mono signals and will play, well, mono. The inserts are managed without user action. I’ve banned all mono versions of plugins out of my plugin collection (via plugin manager) as Cubase handles mono/stereo automatically. A mono source on a stereo track will speak to both inputs of a stereo plugin equally.
The other way around a stereo plugin on a mono track will automatically process just in mono at half the CPU. Given the power current computers have this is mostly irrelevant unless you’re using i.e. DSP systems like UAD.

Is there no way to have a mono channel that splits into a stereo channel partway down? (So you could have a series of mono plug-ins, followed by a couple stereo plug-ins). If this is the case, I guess the workflow in Cubase would be to have a mono channel run into a stereo buss dedicated to that channel. How do you guys do it?

You can always route mono channels to stereo groups. Obviously the mono channels will be treated by mono plugins, on the bus plugins that create stereo content will be stereo. I.e. you send 10 mono backing vox into a stereo backing vox group and insert a Stereo Enhancer or any sort of Modulation, Reverb etc. (anything that produces stereo content) in the stereo bus.

marQs, thanks for the clear and complete answer.

I just did an experiment where I put a mono audio file on a mono track, then inserted a mono EQ followed by the stereo autopan plugin. What came out was one side of the autopan plugin - instead of auto panning, it was just a mono periodic volume swell. So, the mono track is choosing only one side of the stereo plugin on both the input and the output.

Then, I did the same experiment on a stereo track. I copied over the same plugins and used the same audio-file, and I could hear left-right auto panning. In this case, the mono output of the EQ plugin was applied equally to the input of the stereo auto panner, but the output of the autopanner was allowed to be stereo by the stereo track. This is what I was hoping for. Is there any downside to doing this rather than bussing a mono track into a stereo bus?

No downside. I have actually kicked all mono plugins in plugin manager. Cubase handles mono/stereo operation automatically. A stereo plugin on a mono track will be handled as a mono plugin and use just half the cpu compared to the same plugin on a stereo track.

In some cases it’s useful to me to sum i.e. different kick mics to a mono group (they’re mono anyway) when I’m about to use UAD plugins on the group - the mono group will half the precious DSP consumption. Unless you use DSP powered plugins this shouldn’t be a concern at all.

I have seen rare cases where a mono plugin on a stereo channel really just processed one side of the signal but those were older legacy titles. Can’t even remember which…

Great. This makes life easier. thanks again!