Montage ESP 2 plugin not visible in plugin manager

That’s right.

I wonder if we add the ESP plugin code in the XML, file(C:\Users\jocel\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 13_64\Cubase Artist VST3 Cache)
if it could work. Of course if Chris can find it on his laptop.

I mean ESP plugin code XML

Jocelyn,

To follow up with your thoughts, I did some hacking around with the files to see what kind of results I could get. (I make a living as a software developer so I’m familiar with this kind of thing, but I would strongly discourage most people from doing this or you’ll just trash your system.)

In addition to the entry in the vst3 cache, there’s also a VstPluginfoV4.xml file. The latter contains the actual info about the plug, and the cache file references it.

By making an entry into the cache file I could get it to show up in the list, but it still wouldn’t load. I then tried copying the plug info entry, matching the cid and it still wouldn’t load.

This is not surprising to me. These entries are made programmatically by whatever code Cubase has that scans for vsts. In order to make manual entries in the xml files, you’d have to know what each parameter is, how it’s generated, and where else in the system it might be referenced.

The real bottom line here is that there is a failure in the scanning mechanism. In order for this plugin to work, whatever the bug in Cubase is that’s keeping it from consistently being included in all the proper system configuration files needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Okay, so we have to wait for a response from Steinberg. I’m going to try to write for the sixth or seventh time, I can’t remember how many times, at Yamaha.

And I’m still waiting for a response to my support ticket with Steinberg. If I hear back from them and find a solution I’ll be sure to update here.

Okay, allow me one last try before giving up :slightly_smiling_face:.

Regarding the folders, I’d consider just
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase_xx_64 … Cubase Settings Folder
and
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase xx … Cubase Application Folder
(xx = version)
There are others too, but in my opinion these have no influence on the current issue.
Also, the registry entries are negligible, I think.

— Solution approach 1 —
Cubase uses an application called vstScanner.exe to scan VST3 plugins. I’m wondering why the same application on one PC (Laptop) recognizes a plugin file and adds it to the list of available plugins, while it doesn’t on another PC (Desktop). WTF could be preventing the VST Scanner on the Desktop PC from doing this???
[1] Maybe it’s actually not the same Scanner application file? (unlikely)
[2] Maybe the .vst3 file is not present in the VST3 folder or below? (also unlikely)
[3] Maybe the Scanner doesn’t have access to the file or folder? (possible, but rather unlikely)
[4] Maybe a saved Cubase setting is preventing the Scanner from recognizing the VST (possible in principle, but not if all settings folders have been removed)
[5] Maybe something is “signaling” the Scanner that it shouldn’t include this plugin in the list (adventurous, cause who could that be, the Activation Manager perhaps?)
[6] Perhaps there are “remnants” of the old Cubase versions that are interfering with recognition? (Possible, if the old versions weren’t uninstalled properly)
Everything should be checked, but overall one has to admit that it’s not particularly promising…

— Solution approach 2 —
Who says that Cubase is the bad guy?
Maybe something completely different on the Desktop PC is responsible for the detection failing?
What if another VST host application does a scan (e.g. WaveLab, SpectraLayers, BC PatchWork, SAVIHost, even older Cubase versions…)?
Maybe it will find the plugin? If yes, then at least one knows that it can be found on this PC, but not by Cubase 13. If no, then Cubase 13 is relieved and one can concentrate on the remaining setup of the PC.

— Solution approach 3 —
This is the radical approach! One should definitely make a backup of the system partition beforehand.
Since the initial installation of Cubase on the Laptop PC finds the VST plugin (for unknown reasons), the goal is to make the Desktop PC as close as possible to this state. I.e. to uninstall all Cubase (maybe even Steinberg) applications, remove all relevant folders and files and delete every relevant registry entry. Then reinstall C13 - and hope…

Yes and of course if I have any response from Yamaha, I will update here too.

Agreed, those seem to be the relevant players.

I think these are the most likely scenarios, the trick is identifying which one is the culprit.

A good thought experiment, but I don’t have other apps to test with. Perhaps Jocelyn could give this a try?

Not enthusiastic about the nuclear option. Also, in my googling before starting this thread, I came across people having this problem with VST3 plugins (not the Montage) who did an uninstall / reinstall to no avail. I suspect a complete uninstall leaves remnants that don’t get cleaned up, but I don’t have any interest in debugging Steinberg’s uninstaller unless they’re willing to pay my hourly rate. :slight_smile:

Ultimately, I think it’s either:

a) Wait for Steinberg support to help me sort this out
or
b) I’m screwed

Given that a week has passed with no response from support, b) is looking like the most likely scenario.

Thanks again for the help, man.

Okay, I’ve found the issue.

I’ve marked it as a solution, but that really means that I’ve explained the issue to my satisfaction. If you have the event log entries mentioned below, the solution is to use a different computer. Not a solution that I like, but it is what it is.

TL;DR:
Your CPU does not support an expected instruction, which probably means it’s too old. There’s nothing you can do about it. The plugin will not run on this computer. This is a plugin issue, not Cubase’s problem.

Geek Details:
There are two event log errors. One complains about not being able to access a file, which is a red herring and not unusual for Microsoft error messages.

The important point is the exception code: 0xc000001d.

This means that an instruction was executed that the processor does not support. The file related information in the error message might indicate that this exception was thrown while trying to perform a file oriented task, and that’s just the generic error message you get. You run into this sort of thing with their messages all the time when you’re coding on MS platforms.

I included both messages so you can check to see if they’re present (run the Event Viewer application, filter to error messages) should you be having this problem.

Based on where the fault occurred, this looks like it’s a problem with the Montage plugin, not Cubase. If the plugin code is executing an illegal operation (CPU instruction), there’s not much Cubase can do about it.

This is a reasonable explanation for my scenario, where it runs on the laptop but not on either of two identical desktops. The desktops are very old, the laptop is more recent. Even though the desktops run Xeon CPUs at a decent clock speed, if the plugin code generates assembly that expects an operation to be present, but the CPU doesn’t implement it, then it’s going to fail.

In my case, the options are to just run it on the laptop and forget about the desktops, buy new desktops, or just forget about the plugin altogether. I’ve chosen the last option.

As an aside, this is an excellent illustration of why months back I decided to uninstall all my third party plugins and just go native with Cubase, to avoid experiences like this.

To anyone else who has problems with the Montage ESP plugin and finds this, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least you don’t have to waste any more time trying to figure out how to solve the problem. You can’t.

2 Likes

Thank you Chris for your search. At least now we know the problem. :+1:

What is the cpu that is not running it and what’s in your laptop?

Mine, it’s a 64 bits desktop:

Your cpu has avx, so that would make it the first plugin that needs avx2. Bad news

There may be a reason Yamaha requires the given instructions, or it could just be that they went with a default setting on the third party library they used to create it, and that was the code it generated.

Either way, it’s in the hands of the Yamaha devs to do something about it if they choose. Cubase is clearly not the culprit in this case.