Montage tracks Output Busses?

Maybe i’m not understanding: i need to assign a specific output to a montage track…how to do it?

Thanks

• You need to create a Reference track
  • You need to create a bus in the
    2019-10-16_11-20-06.png
    Then you can access this menu:
    2019-10-16_11-21-03.png

OK, was a bit unclear. For old school (dumbs) like me: in the audio setup menu we have now 3 types of “busses” 1 appears to be the main path of the WL montage output named “Before Playback Processing” 2 is “Reference Track” (the one that interests us for routing) 3 “Speaker Arrangement” that clearly says what he does and you should use to configure speaker outputs if you use specific dacs for specific speakers. Any alternate dac that goes to the chain should be configured as a “Reference track”. Then in the Montage you should create a Reference Track as source lane (the Reference track is the only one that can be assigned to multiple outputs). On a regular empty Audio Track you can choose what ADC you want to capture and monitor the input.

SO, recap, Reference track is the Source and a normal track is Destination if you want to bounce linear using the chain you want without using a preconfigured External FX Loop.

“Destination” tracks (regular Audio Tracks) cannot be assigned to specific outputs since are routed only to montage output (Before Playback Processing"

“Destination” tracks (regular Audio Tracks) cannot be assigned to specific outputs since are routed only to montage output (Before Playback Processing"

regular Audio Tracks are routed to the input of the Master Section, and from this point, the signal goes to the point “Before Playback Processing” and to the points “Speaker Arrangement”, which means, after the plugins of the Master Section Playback processing.

Reference track is the Source and a normal track is Destination if you want to bounce linear using the chain you want without using a preconfigured External FX Loop.

Yes

So if i understand correctly with an hardware controller and multiple dacs i can monitor before master section processing and after efx with a dac named Speaker?

So if i understand correctly with an hardware controller and multiple dacs i can monitor before master section processing and after efx with a dac named Speaker?

Yes. And after (all) efx with one or more DAC, as you can switch among 4 of them.

before master section processing

Yes, but more exactly: “after clip and track processing of the reference track”, as montage output processing is excluded.

Found a problem: REFERENCE TRACKS can’t be summed so only the top one in a row is sent to the selected buss. Without summing the R strategy cannot be used with stems.

Found a problem: REFERENCE TRACKS can’t be summed so only the top one in a row is sent to the selected buss. Without summing the R strategy cannot be used with stems.

This was indeed designed to be 3 different and independent reference tracks.
Hence no sum.

Now, I understand your use case. I can think about it for the future.

Thanks Philippe. Key here is to freely manage busses and not use any render or bounce facility when using analog outboard gear. The “outgoing” buss should go to a dac maybe with or without master section efx. Usually the source is a stereo track (the Reference trick works fine in that case and clip or track efx may do the job of the Master section) but in a stem situation we are stuck where we were needing another software in parallel for summing and routing as a source.
The Source, a stereo file or a sum of stereo files, needs to be digitally processed before going analog. Once Analog the signal should be captured on a destination track that needs to have it’s own independent output DAC and independent final efx slots for further final processing (say limiting). In that fashion we print on a new track the source file (or sum) with digital and analog processing but without final limiting stages. Is what we call an intermediate file useful as archive, as starting point for different releases with different ceilings or RMS/LUFS targets or simply because the final limiting stage should be applied when we have all the tracks processed in a row and we can fine tweak levels of individual songs for a right playback.

About NOT using bounce or render functions: most of us trust, but not too much, the cpu and the software. When we do a bounce (real time or off line) we get a bit nervous (paranoid) about integrity of the new generated file. So we need to listen it back several times or perform annoying rituals like null tests. Seeing the wave while recording in real time is useful since we can spot any problem instantly and not at the end of the bounce looking in another window. Old school i know…

obviously if you want other suggestions for old guy oriented features feel free to ask i have another 2 or 3 ready.

:sunglasses:

I’ve just stubbled across the same problem today. I’ve attempted to use WL10 for a stem mastering project and wasn’t able to set it up how I would like. Pretty much as described above. Reference tracks can’t be summed or played back at the same time so had to resort to tracks. Summed the tracks to the output buss then used ‘external fx’ to head out into my analog chain. However I’ve now lost the ability to capture the results into another track and monitor through my post capture FX (limiter etc).

I don’t do a huge amount of stem mastering but it does happen and I should imagine it does for others too. An adjustment so this can happen would be greatly appreciated.