More control of grace note playback?

I’m working on a score of the second movement of Beethoven’s 7th, and I’m having trouble with the playback of grace notes. I attached a screenshot of this repeated phrasing that involves two 16th grace notes. They are typically played legato on the beat, but Dorico seems to insist on playing them before the beat. They also usually play non-legato, unless they are preceded by a legato phrase.

I tried messing with the playback settings but it seems like you can only control single unslashed grace notes. I also tried messing with the playback start/end offset, and changing the playback durations in the piano roll view, but none of that seems to work.

Is there anything else I can do for now? Will we get better control in future updates?

If you want the first measure to sound like the second measure, then set the playback start and end offsets as follows:

Note          Start Offset    End Offset
1st grace note          0             60
2nd grace note         60            120
Dotted note           120

If you want the grace notes to behave like 16th notes rather than 32nd notes, multiply the offsets in the table by two.

1 Like

Alternative: create an extra staff with the desired interpretation, set the original notation to silent, and hide the extra staff again (the music in it will remain).

1 Like

Another alternative: Instead of using real grace notes, use normal 16th notes scaled to the size of grace notes and use hidden tuplets as needed for the fake grace notes and the dotted quarter which follows. If you want the grace notes to behave like 16th notes, they don’t need a tuplet and the dotted quarter should be put in an eighth-note triplet. If you want the grace notes to behave like 32nd notes, they need to be inside a tuplet with 2 sixteenths in the time of 1, and the dotted quarter should be put in a tuplet with 6 sixteenths in the time of 5.

This last workaround has the disadvantage of misaligning the rhythm with other staves.

I would do the first method myself.