More DC and DS coda destination symbols needed

There is a significant body of work in Brazilian music that uses two distinct symbols denoting destinations from coda symbols. These are pieces with A B A C A form and its extensions. Considering rondos, marches, ragtime, and now, for me, Brazilian chôro, it is surprising that these additional necessary symbols are not common.
It would not be surprising that Dorico has already provided a solution I don’t know about. That IS common.
I attached an example from one of the myriad prestigious collections of Brazilian masters published by Almir Chediak. [Sorriso de cristal_Chediak.pdf|attachment upload://fzd8gLUjT0rf7Rx4jEDQvXb0VpZ.pdf) (2.7 MB)
It is a typical application of what I mean.

Spencer, you must have clicked submit before the pdf finished uploading. Please try again.

Here is another attempt to upload…Sorriso de cristal_Chediak.pdf (2.7 MB)

I will look for and upload another example that is more explicit. This one happens to the one I’m working with now, and I notice that it is a bit more terse than others and leaves a bit to the imagination.
This one I selected because it looks as complicated as any I have seen:
A ginga do mané.pdf (212.3 KB)
This request touches on an important issue: compactly written arrangements for people who will use these in live performance, particularly guitar players who cannot turn pages on the fly. None of Chediak’s three large volumes of the Chôro Songbook series occupy more than two pages for exactly that reason. This is what we need to be able to produce for ourselves. I fudged it with Sibelius, but it was really ugly.

I’m not familiar with that symbol, but I used to have to do multiple Codas fairly often for a particular client in Finale. Here’s an example with all the identifying info stripped out:
Multiple Codas.pdf (55.8 KB)

If you really need that symbol you could set up the Codas for playback, then hide them and use your symbol as System Text.
X

I haven’t double-checked this, but if you exclusively wanted to use an alternative symbol for DC/DS al Codas, you could change their appearance in Engrave>Music Symbols (unless I’m misremembering and you can’t do that)

He needs both symbols though, the normal one and a different one for “Coda 2.”

The doubled symbol is just the regular symbol x2, right? There’s no way to change the doubled symbol to a single different symbol is there?
Double

What font is that “X” symbol found in? If you had the font, you could make a custom playing technique.
Looks sort of like a symbol on a pirate’s treasure map where “X marks the spot”.

I don’t think you can switch those, actually - I searched that dialog earlier for coda and for segno and didn’t yield any results…

Thanks for taking this on. If I had a set of single-character symbols, I could make what looks like Coda instructions.

I don’t even care if they do anything because I don’t use playback as a rule. Just so they act like well-behaved symbols when moved around.

I actually searched for segno…

1 Like

I found that one in Jazz font.

When I used “X” it was as a placeholder, that’s all. I hope not to send you on a wild goose chase.

I’m going to try System Text: does it behave when attached to a note, and what characters are available. I now seek a listing of all available characters. If I can find a good one and attach it to a note, I think I’m where I want to be.

You can use any character in any font you can lay your hands on in Shift-X text. Perhaps you could start with the font you were using in Finale.

Thanks for the help. I’ll use Opt-Z, which makes an omega character. Good enough for the new destination symbol. It behaves well attached to a note.
Now if I could get my very own Coda symbol (crosshairs), I could put together my very own jump instructions.

And thank you for promoting me to Member! I like that.

Thank the Discourse bot. It was automatic based on participation. :robot:

That’s correct, you can’t. We decided to implement the drawing of repeat markers using a single run of rich text rather than separate runs of text and symbols positioned together, so Dorico is effectively creating a text item with character style changes for the coda/segno symbols. As such there are no entries in Engrave > Music Symbols to affect the appearance of those symbols.

Ok. Since I don’t use playback, it will suffice to make my own text objects that look right but don’t do anything.

• Do you know of a font available in Dorico that contains a coda sign? I’m not having any luck finding one.
    I’ll much appreciate any hints on how one may do this.