More durable dongle?

Hi,

In my seemingly unending quest to use my laptop live, I ran into an unexpected problem in my first ‘road test’… I almost got my eLicenser snapped off. And if it happened once… it’ll happen again. So… is there any smaller/more rugged (beer-proof!) version? …

Or can one use some sort of extension cable so that I can tuck the thing out of the way?

TIA,

—JC

Nope…the dongle is what it is!

Or can one use some sort of extension cable so that I can tuck the thing out of the way?

Yes…a usb extension or hub will work (have seen some people have issues with certain hubs but has worked fine for me in every hub I’ve tried.)

Aloha S,

For mobile work a small USB extension cable is the way to go

but

finding one (about 1’ in length ) can be a real pain.
Most USB extension cables are much longer than that.

I got a T3 hub http://www.drbott.net/product/3115-THSS/
to use at home and it came with a perfect lil 1’ USB cable.
It worked well for about a year and then ‘it blowed up real good’.

I’m back to the longer cables now.
Good luck

HTH
{‘-’}

Thanks gents,

I was leery about extenders because I learned the hard way that many USB devices (including my Axiom) seem quite fussy about specifically -which- cable they like. The problem with the laptop I have is that the ports on the left and right—making them quite vulnerable. I kinda wish they made some sort of right-angle usb cable that could get bashed and not pulled out.

See this: Dongle Quality Problem ? - Here is the solution ! - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

Thanks. No offense to -you- but that’s not what -I- need for sure. I frankly am less worried about the dongle getting damaged than I am the laptop when the thing gets accidentally smacked and the USB connector bent.

I think a right-angle extender and some serious duct tape is probably the way to go.

Cheers,

—JC