More Focus Quick Controls please

Thankyou for your reply, i didnt realise about mapping pages.
Does anyone know of where i can find what list of CC numbers are used by the launchkey by default so i dont duplicate any?
Ive had to make my own script to use the custom modes which is controlled using midi ports where as the built in script for the launchkey uses the midi controller port so is this a different language to normal midi? or does this mean i can interfere with the messages from the built in script with my own if i ended up using the same CC numbers on both scripts?

Plus i dont want to be sending cc messages and inadvertally altering something else that cubase might already have assigned. Is there somewhere in cubase that i can find what cc numbers are already assigned to things such as mod wheel as an example?

No, itā€™s just a different port. So in regards to what is unique, itā€™s a combination of the Port, Channel and MIDI CC#, as each MIDI Remote script is defined by the port used.

i.e. these are all different:
Port: Launchkey1 | Channel: 1 | CC:100
Port: Launchkey1 | Channel: 2 | CC:100
Port: Launchkey2 | Channel: 2 | CC:100

The MIDI Remote will stop the controls youā€™ve assigned from going into the sequencer area, so you donā€™t need to worry about that.

The only concern is if you ever wanted to control plugins by specific CC values and you DO want them to filter to the main sequencer/timelineā€¦

But to be honest, youā€™re better to use automation for plugin control than MIDI CC - thatā€™s kinda the point of the MIDI Remote. The main instance where MIDI CC control of plugins is advantageous in Cubase is if youā€™re using a MIDI LFO tool to automatically modulate a plugin parameter. Or some plugins just donā€™t offer VST automation IDā€™s for their controls so youā€™re forced to go that route.

Personally, the safest options for MIDI CC assignments outside of the standard definitions are
the ranges CC 20-31 and CC 102-119. Many controllers ship with CC70ā€¦ onwards mapped, but these are widely used for instrument parameters. I tend to go from CC20 for rotaries and then CC102ā€¦ for buttons or faders.

I donā€™t know if that helps, or confuses you more! :slight_smile:

yes very helpfull thanks, i had looked on google for unused GM CCs and as you say 20-31 and 102-119 seem to be where the unused ones are to be safe.

thank you for your reply Jochen.
hopefully your reply also means that perhaps sometimes in the future the unmapping targets wont be dissapearing :wink:

+1 for me. My controller has 8 knobs but allows scrolling pages so i could potentially setup 32 QC.
I would definitely make use of this

1 Like

Hi, I donā€™t know what I am doing wrong. but when I map my rotary controls (Novation Zero SL MkII) to the parameters
they do not necessarily map to the most useful parameters within the plugin. Without working out what each parameter does and selecting the ones I want is there any way of redefining which parameter does which?
Any other unrelated question regards the
I have only seen the focus field greyed-out. Do you know what would change that?
Thanks for your posts.

You just redefine them as required in the Remote Control Editor (RCE is a term people use).

Thatā€™s because the parameters you have selected are always focused to the selected track,. Other mapping parameters can have a different focus set.

1 Like

With @skijumptoes permission, Iā€™ll add another small, but hopefully useful detail.

When we decide upon huge parameter banks for plug-ins, e.g. 32 parameters, upon first glance performance is abysmal. Knobs turn together following other knobs on their own, and performance is horrible. Of course, this happens because ofā€¦ Remote Control Editor (RCE), or rather, how plug-in parameters are passed to the MIDI remote.

If we donā€™t touch anything and just roll with the defaults, thereā€™s a high probability that a 8 parameter plug-in will just duplicate the parameters over and over until it reaches the MIDI remoteā€™s parameter bank size.

However.

If we open the RCE for our plug-in, create as many pages are needed to reach 32 parameters (our MIDI remoteā€™s bank size), and then assign just those parameters that the plug-in offers (Just 2 parameters? Assign those, leave the 30 rest controls empty. 64? Create more pages to fit them all, and weā€™ll just bank parameters from the MIDI remote.), we immediately see that performance is stellar!

Not trying to teach grannies to suck eggs, but I often completely forget about the RCE, and blame the Remote when itā€™s not at fault actually. Maybe others are like me a bit and do the same mistake.

By the way, how annoying is it trying to get the RCE to show for the channel strip plug-ins? The controls are so tightly packed that I need to pixel hunt for free space to right click!

2 Likes

Yeah, it gets in a loop almost that when you touch one parameter it echos it out to the other duplicate params. You definitely need to create new pages and create some blanks. :slight_smile:

The other annoyance is if you use multiple devices, youā€™re kinda stuck to the order of RCE - I arrange in blocks of 8, so if you use something a little quirky such as a 5 or 6 rotary controller, or 9 fader controller - you kinda have to adhere to the global RCE set, which in my case is blocks of 8.

I hope there is a better solution in future, maybe to embrace the RCE more and start to work on improving it? i.e. get access via the MIDI Remote mapping assistant in a newer/nicer method.

And perhaps have ā€˜globalā€™ RCE maps, and ā€˜device specificā€™ ones for those that want a different mapping per MIDI Remote device, there could just be an RCE selection within the ===setup=== dialog, for example.

That said, MIDI 2.0 will most likely supersede a lot of this. I just hope SB are ahead of the curve and weā€™re not having to dismantle what weā€™re building today. :frowning:

Always been a pain, MCU wasnā€™t too bad if you wanted quick access as it had ā€œCStripā€ mode. I tend to have a page within MIDI Remote for channel strip elements and use itā€™s native mappings, just much easier to work with.

Just thinking though, can you go to generic view on the channel strip items (where it lists the parameters) - I canā€™t remember(?).

Although, It does mean that a basic mapping has about 5 pages minimum now:
1-Mixer page - For volumes
2-Quick Control Page - For Focus quick controls
3-Selected Track Instrument page - For multi-parameter/multi page instrument mappings
4-Selected Track Insert Page - As above, for inserts
5-Channel strip page - For pre-gain, Low/Hi cut filters etc.

I mean, itā€™s pretty clumsy as pages 2,3 and 4 should just be under one page really. But after all these years iā€™m just thankful that we have native options, and a lot more is within our control, even if itā€™s quite a heavy process to understand and optimise as best as possible.

Using a controller with a display makes the whole ā€œWhat f----ing page am I on?ā€ moments a little easier too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

True! You have to make compromises, or plan ahead that plug-in A will be controlled by hardware device A, so it gets RCE setup A, while plug-in B will be controlled by hardware device B, so it gets RCE setup B.

My thoughts exactly.

I donā€™t think so! Plus, some strip plug-ins are worse than others on this particular aspect. But itā€™s just a small inconvenience. (For quite a while, it didnā€™t occur to me that the RCE was available for those Channel Strip plug-ins, since I had +never+ right clicked in empty space up to that point. The first time I did was a revelation! :grin:)

Agreed. Itā€™s also the shape of the controller that plays a huge part. For example, if you have just 4 pots and 4 buttons, you can still build a fairly quick EQ section, where you assign Freq, Gain, Q, Type to knobs, and 4 page changes to the buttons, each one leading to a direct EQ band. (Press button 1, tweak lows, press 4, tweak highs etcā€¦ Using/changing between 4 pages, of course.)

The main problem I have with this exceptionally modular nature of MIDI remote is exactly ā€œpage-tisā€, where Iā€™m churning out pages like mad, ā€œin case I need themā€. Selected Channelā€™s Sends 1-8 on faders? Check! Flipped Sends Mixer, to control 1 send at a time for all channels? Itā€™s just 8 pages more. Check! And then itā€™s a puzzle of how to make an intuitive ā€œcall-center options menuā€ to have all these available at any time, which falls into DAW controller designer territory (Iā€™m really curious to see what type of controller Steinberg will come up with when they do!)

But, Iā€™m really happy to have this pleasant headache. The Remote is fast. Personally, I find it suits me more than the Generic, in the sense that assignments are easier, building is easier and faster, I spend less time from thought to implementation. Ok, some stuff is not there yet, but they will be in time.

Regarding Quick Controls.

I donā€™t know how you guys are using them, but I find I donā€™t have a use for them before I do. I just have them assigned there, and when I see that Iā€™m reaching for a specific parameter too often, I just plop them there for the track so that I donā€™t have to go remote diving each time I want to control it. For example, I might assign a drum plug-inā€™s dynamics to control them after having recorded them, during playback. Or a particular kit pieceā€™s tuning. Or a delayā€™s mix knob to control it live. Theyā€™re just sitting there until the need arises, I canā€™t bring myself to think of static QC assignments for a track, or plug-ins. Iā€™d rather have a solid RCE setup and control the parameters directly.

It would be interesting to discuss just workflows of the MIDI remote, and see how people expect it to work, how we are currently using it, what the advantages and disadvantages of each workflow are. We would all learn much I think!

No worries, my fridge is full of eggs. I have had some success with mapping the RCE to a plugin. I have 16 rotaries so I defined 16 parameters in the MIDI Remote editor. I then opened a delay plugin and the RCE page loaded the default from the plugin. I then dragged them around until they were where I wanted them, (I had no success using the Learn function and selecting the control and then the parameter from the drop down list, the designation did not change) however, I made an error and deleted one of the parameters that I required. Obviously once you have accepted the changes the Default becomes what you accept (in my case, not what I want). Do you (a) know how to solve this? (b)where the parameter files are stored? and (c) how do you save these as separate banks? I may have got the wrong end of the stick with how this works, so any help would be appreciated.

I donā€™t believe itā€™s actually possible to destroy parameters? Have you tried recalling the factory default?

Here, I gutted the amp sim.

Clicked apply.

Open it again, go to the loopy down arrow. Get factory default.

It gives me this.

Now I can ctrl-drag to exchange parameters around, instead of overwriting them.

Works for me.

If you want to make an occupied cell blank, select the cell and then choose no parameter from the field on the left. The same goes if you want to assign a parameter thatā€™s not there already in the factory default.

Unless itā€™s a completely different disaster. In that case, please send screenshots!

1 Like

You can get to the parameter files, as I tried to see if you could share with users and sure enough you can. i.e.:

I wouldnā€™t mess about with them too much though, best to stick to the GUI I thinkā€¦ However, I would be cool if ever got to the point of sharing RCE presets.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give this a go. I donā€™t know if it would make any difference but I was using a third party plugin. Thanks for your help

Further to my reply re third party plugins whose parameters canā€™t be retrieved from the pick list if accidentally deleted, There is no issues with the Steinberg native plugins, but the Plugin Alliance plugs do exhibit this issue. However, the SSL Native plugins seem fine. Iā€™ll add other compliant third party plugs as I find them. To avoid these issues, I open enough new rows to accommodate all the parameters I need and then delete the original rows when Iā€™m happy itā€™s correct.

1 Like

So, when you click restore to factory settings those plug-ins stay blank? But all their parameters are still there for assignment in the list on the left, arenā€™t they?

Use control+drag to swap parameters around, instead of overwriting them, or dragging them to empty cells first. I find it goes faster for me this way.