More problems with Plugins...

Some plugins are not appearing in WL 9.5.5. I have a lot of Voxengo plugins. Some of them show up in WL some do not. They are all in the folder VST plugins in my PC under Programs X86 and the folder Steinberg. This seems to have happened when I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro Windows 10 Pro about a month ago. Some of the plugins are 32 bit some are 64 bit. I also cannot get the plugin Soothe to show up but SPIFF shows up fine, both are from oeksound. None of the plugins that are not showing up are listed in the “do not load” list. Is it because some are 32 bit and some are 64 bit? :question:

The plugins show up in other DAWs I have but not in WL. :astonished:

Thanks in advance for any information.

I recommend to delete all 32 bit plugins you have (because I guess you don’t need them).
And then force a plugin rescan.

But I do need them…that is why I am posting the question.

Is it that WL cannot use 32 bit plugins but other DAW software can? I am so confused. Steinberg’s on line explanation is confusing as well. See https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206087984-Using-32-bit-plug-ins-on-64-bit-systems

I have a lot of plugins that are no longer updated but were used in older projects. I still have WL 6 installed on my PC so I will see if it will recognize these plugins. I wish the plugin authors and the DAW authors would agree on a standard and stick to it so ALL plugins will run on ALL DAWs. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

If you are running Wavelab 9.5 64-bit on a Windows 10 64-bit operating system then for fuss free operation you must use 64-bit plugins. In my opinion, the best solution is to install 64-bit versions where available. AFAIK all Voxengo plugins are available in 64-bit versions. If 64-bit versions are not available and you need to use 32-bit versions of old plugins in older projects then try jBridge.

I wish the plugin authors and the DAW authors would agree on a standard and stick to it so ALL plugins will run on ALL DAWs. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

This could seem simple, but it is not, technically speaking. 32 bit and 64 bit are 2 different worlds. And for a 64 bit host to use a 32 bit plugin, is a kind of hack.
When you see that a billion company such as Apple is about to deprecate 32-Bit macOS Apps, it’s not by chance, it’s because it’s a lot of trouble to maintain both 32 bit and 64 bit side to side.

The rules for 64 bit have been well documented and in place for years now. There should be no surprise or misunderstanding when a 32 bit plug does not appear in a 64 bit host.

There were some “bridging” things going on about 5-6 years ago - I think I remember Cubase/Nuendo doing that for a while - but like PG says - it’s a hack and an unstable one at that.

To your point on plugin authors - for me - unless the author offers a 64 bit version of said plugin - I dump the plugin/author and move on to something more reliable rather than waiting around for the author to get their act together.

I cannot visualize a single reason to be dealing with a 32 bit plugin in 2019 - whatever it is - there is something better already out there.

VP

Point well taken. Now what is the best way to tell if a plugin is 32 bit or 64 bit while it is still in its folder so I can get rid of all my 32 bit plugins?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Well - since WL does not bridge (Assuming you are using the 64bit version) - anything that does not show up in WL is a good target for a check. Obviously you can’t use WL to determine if a plugin is 32bit if it does not show within the program.

I am sure there are other utilities out there for this - this one looks interesting:

Good luck with the cleanup.

Cheers!

VP

Thanks, I have been using it for a year.