More than 12 Effect Slots?

Also I don’t know anything about hyperthreading, but is that why your 8 core looks like 16?

I have UAD Vari-Mu and Slate FG-X in the master chain. For the clips, I am using between 4-8 plugins for each track. Some native, some UAD. 44.1KHz

And yes, hyperthreading is the reason it shows 16 cores.

My real issue is that Wavelab gets progressively slower as I move on to the next clip. When I first start, there is no performance lag for the first few clips but as I move on to subsequent clips and apply plugins to their chains it gets slower and slower. Turning off the chains with the “power button” has no affect. Deleting those clips immediately speeds up the performance for the remaining clips that I haven’t worked on, but seriously, 11 clips into a 17 clip project and Wavelab has come to a grinding halt where I have to manually kill the process.

I can’t reproduce the problem at all orangeoctane. I think Wavelab 9 is handling the clip plugins beautifully. Low memory usage, responsiveness. I’m on Windows 7, on a 6 Core not new Xeon. RME PCIe AES. 16GB RAM.

I thought you were probably running at 96K which would add to the issue, but at 44.1 I can’t imagine why you’re seeing what you’re seeing, unless you’re using some special plugins that are adding to the issue.

I’m running 20 clips with 10 plugins on each clip, including Air EQ and Ozone (which are my worst) on each, and 7 plugins in the Master Section, including more instances of Air EQ and Ozone. I’m using Air EQ VST2 for reasons I can’t remember, but Justin said there was a new version. Actually I’m also using Ozone VST2, but I swapped in some VST3 and it doesn’t really make any difference at 44.1. Other plugs: Sonnox, UAD, Waves, Fabfilter. I’m not using hyperthreading.

Are you on Windows 10? What interface? I guess everything works perfectly with Pro Tools, so I don’t know, but I think what you’re experiencing in Wavelab is not normal. Maybe process of elimination?

FWIW, FG-X is known as a “resource hog”. When things get slow, I would try removing that one first to see if things drastically improve. If so, there is your problem. It’s a poorly designed plugin IMO.

Slate has been talking about FG-X v2 for a long long time now but of course, not yet available.

Also FWIW, AVID just yesterday announced Pro Tools 12.6 HD that will finally allow Pro Tools to have clip plugins. However, at first the clip plugins are limited to only some AVID plugins and not 3rd party. They say the plan is to eventually open it to 3rd party plugins.

Win7/64 for several years now running an Apollo 16 FireWire. I built my first DAW in '97 for Cubase VST 3.7 and have been building PCs for an even longer time. Engineering is my full-time gig so I’m intimate with my system and am very sensitive to changes in performance. Wavelab has always worked great, in the capacity and workflow I implement. I just needed some more slots in the master chain for especially bad files that require addressing multiple issues, but going down the road of using clip effects in the montage has opened up a whole new can of worms now. Thankfully, I can tell immediately when Wavelab is going to crash when doing nothing more than adding an additional plugin to a clip chain so I just kill the process and re-launch the app to minimize the recovery time as much as possible. I could never work like this with a client sitting next to me.

Yeah I saw the announcement from AVID yesterday. It’s going to be a handy feature once 3rd party apps are allowed to play.

As far as FG-X, it’s not that. I loaded up 12 instances of it in the master chain in file mode and my system didn’t even flinch on playback. Removed on this montage to test with as well - same issue remains. I’ve always used file mode until just a couple weeks ago when I needed more than 12 plugins (believe it or not) for a few files that had multiple issues. I frequently run 2 instances of FG-X (using both the compressor and the dynamic perception knob for tracks that lack dynamics) along with KClip running at 32X oversampling, LF Max Punch at 8X, FabFilter Pro-Q2 in linear phase, Fabfilter MB and Pro-DS both at 4X OS, and a garden variety of other resource-heavy plugs. Wavelab has been the perfect platform for doing this kind of heavy lifting when used in File mode.

I see. I just wanted to mention FG-X because it has always been a resource hog, and the latest update is a shoddy band-aid to keep it working at 64-bit until the next update. That combined with Slate/Eiosis having VST coding issues made me suspect that might be part of the issue.

Like I said earlier, try a single file montage, use Master Ouput plus Master Section plugins, render and then go to a separate multi-file montage. Closest thing to ‘file mode’. Not saying there is no issue, but at least you can get stuff done.

orangeoctane, since we got such different performance results with plugins on clips, and there doesn’t seem to be much chance of a quick resolution, would you consider trying to disable hyperthreading as a troubleshooting step? I believe Steinberg has recommended this in the past to resolve performance issues. I assume you’re using the latest 64 bit version of Wavelab 9 as I am.

And more screenshots probably wouldn’t hurt. Of the clip effects tab with lalencies, and the montage tracks clips layout, and master section plugins list.

And if you have another interface to try, that might be something else.