More then one computer usage

Did your Deadhead SO only attend ONE Grateful Dead gig? If not, what was the attraction of the second one?

Good arguments. But I have a hard time believing it’s such a huge problem. Most people are honest -this is kind of like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly.

She went to many many concerts. She liked to watch and listen to Jerry play guitar.

I think most people are “honest” in the sense that they don’t do stuff when they think the consequences of getting caught are too serious.

But considering that the easiest way for “cracked software” sites to make money is by collecting personal information from the people who use them (and most likely using it for illegal purposes) there must be enough people who are both “dishonest” and fairly clueless about computer security to make those sites profitable.

Crime does pay - or it wouldn’t exist. The question is to what extent the rest of us have to pay for it too. I have to lock my house door, my car door, my work door, and enter a gazillion passwords into my computer, phone, bank ATM, and myriad other places.

I think we agree in principle; I just think Steinberg’s implementation goes too far (as do many other software companies), and you don’t. No worries man; thanks for your honest thoughts. It’s all good - you’re not “wrong” and I’m not “right.” I’m just irked at Steinberg’s decision - as are boat loads of others.

Something to think about.

:smiley:

+1 for a change in the licensing/multi-computer option (2 comps would be perfect). I was considering upgrading Sibelius to 8 to use it on my Surface Pro (S8.3, I think, adds pen input options on the Surface), until Avid changed the upgrade pricing - going to $299 as of Jan1, which is $20 more than crossgrading to Dorico. So, I look at Dorico thinking I’ll do the same, but it is locked to a USB elicenser. Fine for the desktop, but having access to Dorico on my Surface would be a significant selling point for me.

However, I won’t use USB-licensed apps on a tablet - simply too risky to both the USB key, and the USB port/device. An extender cable or hub really doesn’t solve the problem in that devices like a Surface were designed to minimize size and ease of use. As such, any attached cable/device risks damage to the port at a minimum.

Allow two soft-elicenser installs per user (or one USB, one soft-install). That would solve this for everyone, including tablet/laptop users.

Ditto, if only they would listen to their customers

I totally agree!!! +1000!!!

However, I don’t believe these kinds of comments make their way to Steinberg corporate (I could be wrong). I think all these comments do is depress the programmers who are madly at work bringing us the next great thing!

Perhaps these comments should be addressed in a different way; if so any feedback from Team Steinberg moderators here would be welcome.

I don’t even use 2 computers right now for my music making, but I have in the past so I totally sympathize with the needs of this (very large) group.

We do hear every customer who shares their frustration at the differences between the Steinberg licensing and how other software is licensed.

The senior management team are definitely aware of the strength of feeling on this topic. Steinberg’s software licensing is an active topic of conversation and there are plans in motion.

At the moment, Daniel’s post on this subject from June is still the current status. Given the fact that any changes to licensing will have implications for all Steinberg’s products, it is being considered in a very deliberate and thorough manner - which is exactly the right approach.

In the end, I sincerely believe we will be able to accommodate the primary request (to be able to run Dorico on more than one computer without a dongle) but there’s still work to do to get there, so please bear with us.

In the meantime, asking the same question will garner the same reply.

If I had been more aware of Dorico’s user license, I would not have purchased it at this time. I would have waited until the program had more features that I desire. I look forward to Dorico/Steinberg changing this licensing policy in the future and hope it is sooner than later. I did not upgrade from Sibelius 7 because I did not care for how Avid was treating their employees and customers. This is a bad start for Dorico and I hope that I do not regret the decision to support the Dorico team by purchasing this software. If so, I will leave Yamaha/Steinberg/Dorico behind as I look for a more customer/company/employee friendly product to support.