More trouble with blank notehead set

I am digging a deeper hole for myself by the hour I think. Trying to make a blank notehead set, I followed in detail the instructions in various threads here, as carefully as possibly. I can make a blank notehead with text spaces. But now, I can only change noteheads in Engrave mode and although the function is not greyed out in Write mode it does nothing, with any notehead set, and worse, the rubbish bin icon in the Notehead Set dialog is greyed out and I cant delete anything, for any notehead set.

I am at a loss to know how I could have corrupted things this badly. What to do?

I have become more and more convinced that the feature request to hide noteheads is something very much needed, if you can mess things up this badly by having to use workaounds.

Is it time to reinstall Dorico, in this case?

Reinstalling Dorico would be pointless. It won’t clear out your user folder, which is where all this stuff is stored. On the other hand, you could delete the contents of your user folder; Dorico will recreate the files the next time it launches. /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico (Mac) or %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico (Windows).

Off the top of my head, I think notehead sets are stored in userlibrary.xml, so that would be the file to delete (or to edit, carefully, in a text editor). Deleting that file will only ditch the saved defaults, so, again, if you’re just trying to fix a specific project, fix the project, not your Dorico installation.

You can’t delete a notehead set that is currently in use in your project. Try selecting all and resetting to the default notehead set and then you should find that you can delete the custom notehead set. There are probably further caveats: if your custom notehead set uses noteheads that appear in other notehead sets, you probably need to remove those noteheads from the custom set.

Incidentally, your feature request is already on the list. See Notes without noteheads (in notehead editor) - #5 by dspreadbury for instance.