Most Current Version Of User Manual

Is the User Manual that downloaded with Dorico 2 the most current version available? I think I saw here on the forum today that there is an update in the works, but I’m talking about what’s available right now?

We’ll have an update to the manual very soon, but at the moment it’s still just the current version 1 documentation.

Just in case you’re not aware - this version history document serves as excellent documentation on all new features until anything else is available.

Thanks, andgle.

Thanks Ben - you’re all doing great job!

Reminder to Steinberg - have a look to Dorico Manual at https://steinberg.help/
https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/Dorico_1_Operation_Manual_en.pdf

It is Dorico manual Version 1.2 from December 5, 2017 https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/dorico-update-12-available-4503.html

We all paid Dorico 2 after May 30, 2018 https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/dorico-pro-2-and-dorico-elements-2-released-4766.html

For what stand the Pro in the name Dorico pro?
I hope there is no Upgrade with cost (Dorico 3) until Dorico 2 Manual is delivered.
… and that my judgment is not too harsh but is justified - but I’m a little bit angry.

Incidentally, I’m waiting for the German manual. This manual is still waiting in version 1.0…

triangle, I realise this is confusing, but:

The Dorico 1.2 manual that was actually available in December 2017 was, I believe, 732 pages long.
The latest version of the Dorico 1.2 manual (https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/Dorico_1_Operation_Manual_en.pdf) is actually 847 pages long. They’re still working on it! The reason they’re still working on the Dorico 1.2 manual is that a) almost everything in it still applies to Dorico 2.1.1 (yes, really) and b) there are plenty of people still using Dorico 1.2 who haven’t updated to Dorico Pro 2.

The “Pro” exists to differentiate between the full (pro) version and the cut-down Elements version, which didn’t exist until Dorico Pro 2 was released.

triangle,

In the meantime, ask questions here on the forum, or on the Dorico Facebook page. You’re almost certainly going to get a very, very quick answer.

And although the 2.1 manual is indeed not complete, as pianoleo said, the 1.2 manual and its subsequent additions cover the *vast majority of user questions. For the rest, just ask.

(English below)
Wo soll ich anfangen… genau am Anfang. Mir fehlt der einfache Einstieg in Dorico.
Als Benutzer mit deutsch als Muttersprache freue ich mich das Dorico diese Sprache unterstützt. Besonders beim Einstieg in ein neues Programm ist mir die Muttersprache wichtig. Für einige fachliche Details taugt mein Englisch dann sicherlich auch.
Ich bin (studierter) Orchestermusiker und Informatiker - aber sicherlich kein Nerd. Was ich damit sagen will:ich bin mit der Materie von Dorico und der Microsoft Windowswelt gut vertraut. Ich bin auch seit Jahren Benutzer von Finale und Sibelius.
Allerdings nutze ich für schnelle Notenskizzen meistens Musescore. Auch arbeite ich viel mit Cubase Pro und Wavelab Pro - also ist Steinberg auch kein neuer Partner. Ich verstehe selber nicht, warum mir der Einstieg in Dorico so schwer fällt. Warscheinlich habe ich Finale, Sibelius und Musescore ohne großen Aufwand intuitiv erlernt. Über Cubase und Wavelab habe ich viel in Videotutorials gelernt.

Meine Hauptaufgabe ist es gedruckte Klavierbegleitung (Papier oder PDF) in Cubase über VST abzuspielen. Zur Notenerkennung nutze ich Neuratron PhotoScore.

Aber zurück zu Dorico. Mir fehlt der einfache Einstieg in Dorico. Ich würde gerne einmal in einer Anleitung ein bischen stöbern um mich in Dorico vertraut zu machen und mich in den Grundlagen zurechtzufinden. Deshalb die Nachfrage nach einer aktuellen deutschen Anleitung. Vielleicht würde mir auch ein deutsches Videotutorial helfen. Gibt es so etwas zu kaufen?

triangle

(Google translated) https://translate.google.com/?hl=en
Where should I start … right at the beginning. I’m missing the easy entry into Dorico.
As a user with German as mother tongue I am glad that Dorico supports this language. Especially when entering a new program, the native language is important to me. For some technical details, my English is certainly good.
I am (studied) orchestral musician and computer scientist - but certainly not a nerd. What I mean by that: I am well acquainted with the matter of Dorico and the Microsoft Windows world. I have also been a user of Finale and Sibelius for years.
However, I mostly use Musescore for fast note sketches. Also, I work a lot with Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro - so Steinberg is not a new partner either. I do not understand myself why the entry into Dorico is so difficult for me. Probably I have intuitively learned Finale, Sibelius and Musescore intuitively. I’ve learned a lot in video tutorials about Cubase and Wavelab.

My main task is to play printed piano accompaniment (paper or PDF) in Cubase via VST. For note recognition I use Neuratron PhotoScore.

But back to Dorico. I’m missing the easy entry into Dorico. I would like to take a look at a tutorial to familiarize myself with Dorico and find my way around the basics. Therefore the demand for a current German manual. Maybe I would also help a German video tutorial. Is there something to buy?

triangle

triangle,

If your English is good, as you say, then you will benefit immensely from the YouTube videos. Go to the Dorico YouTube channel, click on the playlist, and look for the introductions to write mode, set up mode, etc.

You are not alone in your frustration coming from a previous music software. In fact, most users are not first time users… They are all coming from other programs. That’s why it is important to set aside previous ways of thinking about entering notes and completely embrace the Dorico UI.

The videos are very well done. That’s how I learned!

I would add: if your primary need is a solid introduction to the basics, the current manual really has all the information you would need. To be honest, I don’t prefer the format of the online manual for general learning. But as I said, I learned almost exclusively from the YouTube videos. After that, it’s just a matter of filling in the extra bit of knowledge here and there as you go.

(English below)
Was soll ich zu Deiner Antwort sagen? Ich habe natürlich Youtube Videos gesehen - ohne Ende. Trotzdem bin ich überfordert, wenn zu viel Information in der Fremdsprache verloren geht. Wie ich sagte habe ich kein Problem Details zu verstehen. Aber den großen Bogen zu verstehen ist etwas anderes. Es gibt ja noch mehr Schwierigkeiten beim Lernen von Dorico: Wie Du sagtest steht mir sicherlich das Bedienkonzept der Konkurenz-Programme Finale, Sibelius und Musescore im Weg.
Am liebsten würde ich mir einen Tutor nehmen, mit dem ich eine Zeit lang an meinem PC meine Sachen erarbeite. Wer macht das mit deutsch als Muttersprache? Oder ein Wochenendseminar. All das habe ich noch nicht gefunden.

triangle

What should I say to your answer? Of course I saw Youtube videos - without end. Nevertheless, I am overwhelmed when too much information is lost in the foreign language. As I said, I have no problem understanding details. But understanding the big bow is something else. There are even more difficulties in learning from Dorico: As you said, the operating concept of the competitor programs Finale, Sibelius and Musescore certainly stands in the way.
I’d like to take a tutor to work on my PC for a while. Who does that with German as mother tongue? Or a weekend seminar. I have not found all that yet.

triangle

triangle, es gibt ein paar deutsche Seiten zu Dorico:

http://www.vadonmusicpreparation.com/dorico-tutorials-uebersicht/

Dort findest du Übersetzungen zu zahlreichen YouTube-Videos und dann gibt es eine deutsche Facebook Gruppe, falls du bei Facebook aktiv bist:

(English below)
Die Textübersetzung der englischen Einsteigervideos kannte ich noch nicht. Es sieht so aus, als ob das die Sache ist, die ich suche.
Tausend Dank!

triangle

The text translation of the English starter videos I did not know yet. It looks like that’s the thing I’m looking for.
Thank you so much!

triangle

Any update on when the Dorico “Operation Manual” will be updated for version 2? There are features in 2 that I didn’t even know existed (some of them pretty cool).

TBH, considering the format of the manual, I don’t think it’s a good way to discover features, except by happy accident. It’s good for a reference tool to answer specific problems, but not practical to just read (I’ve tried). You’re much better off:

1. Constantly asking the question, “Is there a better way to do this or that function?”
  2. Being active on the forum.
  3. Watching the new YouTube videos. New videos are intentionally focusing on new and important features.
  4. Read the release notes! Both the official Steinberg notes and Scoring Blog. This is probably the best way to keep up to date with new features.

Lillie is hard at work on taking the material from the Dorico 2 Version History document and putting it into the right places in the operation manual. I expect we will have an initial, English-language update pretty soon, though as ever the localised versions will lag behind. Certainly in the absence of the new information being integrated properly into the online docs, reading the Dorico 2 Version History document (and indeed the Dorico 1 Version History document, which weighs in at something like 150 pages after all of the various updates we delivered since the initial release) is the best way to find detailed documentation of all of the new features.

Thanks, Daniel. Is it possible to put those other documents here:
https://steinberg.help/dorico-manuals/dorico/ ?

I’ll ask the manuals team about it.

Daniel, has there been any discussion of a more readable format as an alternative for users who want to just read a book about it? Although I feel pretty well integrated, I would love this as an option to give to friends who are considering it. Something written more in paragraph style, perhaps. Since I know you guys have all sort of free time… :wink:

But seriously, it could really just mirror the content of the existing manual format, except in a more readable, compact format.

Sorry, Dan, do you mean the Operation Manual? If so, no: it’s the company house style, and is at least partly due to the way in which the team authors the content in order to make organising, repurposing and localising the documentation practical. I would characterise the company approach to documentation as being very utilitarian, and designed to convey as much information in a structured fashion with as little extraneous fluff as possible. My own personal tastes run towards the prosaic but it’s probably a good thing for all concerned that my manual writing days are behind me.