Most elegant way to move fingering below 8va line?

Hey there folks, I hope you’re doing well. I’ve engraved a piece in Dorico and noticed that Dorico seems to put fingering above the 8va line if the fingering does not fit under the slur as shown below:

Engraving the same piece in Lilypond produces nicer results;

Is there an elegant way to resolve this in Dorico without literally moving each fingering down manually in Engrave mode? The Slur-relative position being set to Inside isn’t an acceptable solution for my taste as it makes the slur look ugly.

Any help is appreciated!
Fotis

There isn’t an elegant way.

Lack of easily configurable verticle stacking is my biggest beef with dorico.

It’s much worse with harmonics, because they insist on being ABOVE the 8va line, which is just dumb.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for confirming that I wasn’t missing anything. This is indeed quite a big deal for me too, so much so that I consider it a dealbreaker when systems like Lilypond do a nicer job.

It really is a shame because the workflow in Dorico is excellent. :pensive:

Hi. The technique to solve those kind of problems is to flip the 8va line and then reposition it in Engrave mode — only one object to move, and the fingerings will be consistently placed. Until the team implements the “tucking index” also for these lines. @TylerE , this is also the usual workaround with the harmonics :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply Marc. I’m just trying that now and want to ensure I’m doing it right:

• Switch to Engrave mode
  • Select the 8va sign and set Placement to Below
  • Use the Y offset to move the 8va line back up again

Of course doing this means that my tempo marking now also needs to be moved. Also the hook length needs to be modified to a negative value (-1 specifically) so its pointing the right direction.

Am I perhaps missing something or is this the way to go for now?

Cheers
Fotis

I’m afraid it’s the way to go — I would be glad to be proved wrong. For the hook, I find copying values in the properties a nice way of ensuring consistency (over manual tweaking of handles) so you’re doing fine. Sorry for the Tempo marking…
PS: selecting the line and pressing f is faster than changing the property!

1 Like

While the solution from MarcLarcher is brilliant, manually raise every 8va line is not fun.
Dorico team please address this issue that has been raised since 2017.

1 Like

Is anything changed in Dorico 5?

Unfortunately not.