Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

Often when I search in the online help I have to click through 2 or 3 pages to get to the topic I want. When I get there, it’s titled exactly the same as what I searched for in the first place!

2 Likes

Do you have an example of this? what you searched for and the ultimate topic title? And the manual version you’re using.

When I just type “Dorico” and then a keyword or phrase, I often get information for an out of date version of Dorico.

David

Hi Lillie, I don’t have a specific memory, but will make note next this happens. BTW, I’m in awe of your work with the Manual. It boggles the mind!

That would be helpful, thank you - specific examples are really helpful as I can actually investigate them properly! And thank you very much, it’s a challenge but a very enjoyable one.

Agreed, this particular behavior drives me nuts. It would be immensely helpful if the version number could be prominently displayed in the header somewhere, at least.

1 Like

Aside from v1, it is, isn’t it?

Version 1 is what I mean, since that’s the one that often comes up for me. A “Dorico 1” header would be immensely helpful.

I understand why it probably isn’t… same reason why WW1 wasn’t so named until we had a WW2! Before that it was called simply “The Great War.” Dorico at its birth was just “Dorico.”

The Dorico to end all Doricos.

2 Likes

SInce Google (usually) ranks according to “popularity,” it isn’t surprising that a manual that has been around since the beginning has more clicks/popularity than a more recent manual. But that is a flaw of the Google process rather than Dorico’s documentation. I do agree with Dan that labeling the version for each help article would be ideal, but going back to label those where it was not done originally would be prohibitive.

1 Like

I know this comes up often, but the screen jumping is definitely one of my top requests. I waste so much time dealing with this. Here’s an example:

Since there’s no way to invoke an Engrave mode property from Write, I have to switch to Engrave to invoke Avoid Collisions for text. I don’t have this turned on by default as it often makes a mess of staff spacing, and I’ve assigned a shortcut for it with a JSON hack to speed things up. You might think this would only take a second or two as it’s just Ctrl-3 for Engrave, Shift-Alt-V (for aVoid, plus I can do it with one hand), Ctrl-2 to go back to Write. Unfortunately, I spend more time scrolling to get back to wherever I was because Dorico jumps all over the place.

Jumping

In the above gif, I select the “Brief cadenza” text, then hit Ctrl-3. You can see that Dorico switches to Engrave briefly then jumps ahead a bar or so. Not a big deal as my text is still on screen. I then invoke Avoid Collisions with my shortcut and see the text moves up. I hit Ctrl-2 to go back to Write and you can briefly see the selected text correctly in the middle of the screen where I last viewed it, then Dorico inexplicably jumps ahead about 8 bars so my selection is no longer visible. Scrolling around to find where I last was takes longer than the entire Avoid Collisions process.

Dorico briefly correctly displays where I was when it switches back to Write so it must somehow remember this display setting, it’s only a fraction of a second later when it jumps ahead to a different point where I can’t see my selection. It would be great if whatever that jumping subroutine is could just be eliminated. I often quickly switch between Write and Engrave and back and waste more time finding my selection than I do with whatever I was trying to do in Engrave.

5 Likes

I mean, each page of the Dorico 1 manual links to the same image (at https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/oxygen-webhelp/template/variants/dorico/webhelp/resources/product_logo.svg), so as a stopgap, maybe that one image could be replaced.

Ideally it would be good to get the version number as text in the header, though, or preferably actually in the page tags (or wherever it needs to be so that it shows in Google search results). I’m sure someone’s on the case already, though :slight_smile:

I can’t remember the last time I saw this jumping behaviour, which either means I’m doing something different to you or it’s just so embedded that I don’t notice it any more. Honestly, it could be either!
If the object is still selected, which it should be, try hitting P and then P again - Dorico should attempt to initiate playback, then you hit P again before it’s actually started playing, but the play head should now be somewhere obvious on screen. Does that help?

2 Likes

All this talk about Doritos is making me hungry.

2 Likes

Yep, that does! That’s definitely faster than scrolling around to find the selection, thanks! I get this constantly with switching between Galley Write and Engrave. It doesn’t matter the file size, Dorico just always jumps so my selection is off-screen when going back to Galley.

Here’s my 1-staff default file. I select a bar at random in Galley, Ctrl-3, Ctrl-2, and Dorico has jumped ahead 35 bars so it’s no longer visible. When I switch back to Galley, it’s only visible a couple of milliseconds, but Dorico does initially make the switch correctly, it’s only after that it jumps ahead. It would be great to eliminate this unnecessary jumping subroutine.

DefaultJump

My most urgent request is that Dorico’s Condensing feature be further refined. I have completed 2 projects (Concert Band and Orchestra). The condensing requirements are very straightforward. However there are numerous errors (dozens) which require manual condensing changes to force the desired result. It seems that Dorico cannot transition from one parameter to another and then back again. It gets “stuck”.

Right now, Dorico remains a “non-starter” for me and my clients.

For Google search I choose via Tools and, for instance, last year a more recent result…

Sorry to hear that Dorico is a non-starter for you. If you could furnish me with some examples of the problems you’re experiencing, that would be helpful, so I can be sure they’re on our radar.

I found that using dual monitors turned out to be the solution to having to switch from write to engrave modes in the first place, but that may or may not be an option for you…

Cheers
Benji

1 Like

I can see why Dorico is doing this. I’ll take a closer look to see if it’s possible to eliminate this additional repositioning of the view after you switch mode.

6 Likes