Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

If you’re using 3.5, then the 3.5 manual is the most recent version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As Sammys said, having a way to show slurs after repetitions (e.g. in the second bracket) would be wonderful! I need this feature more often. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Hmmm. Is this the “something new and exciting” or something else?

Anyway, sounds like good news is on the way.

1 Like

yes, and maybe on multiple voices too such as Brahms - Intermezzo 119

Somehow I doubt this build up would be to announce a single feature. That’s not how Dorico has behaved in the past.

After seeing quite a few posts by disappointed users without an iPad, I wanted to gather and share new features and improvements in the iPad version that I hope we may see in Dorico 4. Not sure if everything will make it, but Daniel has indicated in the blog post that much of it will.

UI improvements:

• Visual tweaks of icons etc
  • Redesigned mixer
  • Redesigned midi editors using Qt quick framework:

«As the beautiful and powerful new Key Editor in Dorico for iPad demonstrates, Qt Quick will provide us with the means to build higher-performance, smoother and more polished user interfaces, and over time we will migrate more and more of the application to this framework, with the promise of even greater performance gains in the future.» https://blog.dorico.com/2021/07/how-dorico-came-to-the-ipad-the-behind-the-scenes-story/

New properties:

Hub improvements

• Including the VERY useful automatic creation of time and key signatures as well as bars, and my new favorite «Project will use multiple flows» toggle. I can see why this was all abandoned in the initial design philosophy, but in practical use it makes setting up quick lead sheets smoother.

Setup mode:

• Solo/selection player toggle
  • Ensemble builder
  • Player sorting

New options:

• Preferences
    • Snap system and frame breaks to barlines
    • Detect grace notes, slurs, tremolos and trills in midi recording
  • Layout options:
    • Show player name instead of instrument name
  • Notation options:
    • Hide key signatures at start of systems following first system
    • Hide clefs at start of systems following first system

Various stuff that has been requested a lot:

I’m sure there’s more in the iPad version, but this already seems like a great collection of new stuff for Dorico 4.

7 Likes

The Best way I have found to import MIDI or XML into Dorico and get a meaningful score that you can edit within the limitations of the non pro version of Dorico and get a score that is except-able to most musicians, is to learn the MIDI editing and exportation functions in Cubase. MIDI editing in Cubase is very Sophisticated. Get a meaningful score in Cubase and the XML exportation translates well into Dorico. It’s also easy to evaluate your scoring by ear in Cubase as it plays it back correctly if you don’t get to fancy with plugins.
I know that you won’t get the engraving capability that professional scores some times need, but the more important thing is that Dorico has well thought out programing that wont let you make ignorant mistakes. I chose dorico as my go to scoring program over “Finale” because it is a sister program to Cubase it understands the same plugins that Cubase understands, allowing you to check the musicality of your score more efficiently. After all it’s about good music, easy to read and maintain proper interpretation.

1 Like

A way of implementing ties across 1st/2nd time bar without having to fake it please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, the ability to export a pdf file up to 1200 dpi has already been requested?
Thank you

The DPI dropdown is irrelevant for PDF exports. Dorico exports PDFs that contain vectors and font characters, which should render correctly at any size.

But if I want to export a file at 600dpi, Dorico won’t let me, because it stays fixed at 150dpi.
Currently in order to have a definition at 600dpi I am forced to export to Tiff and then, through an external program, to pdf at 600dpi.
Am I wrong something?

See how the “150” is a darker shade of grey? That’s Dorico’s way of telling you it’s irrelevant. Dorico is ignoring that value, and so should you. DPI only relates to bitmap images, and PDFs are not bitmap images.

1 Like

Explaining better: the publishing house asks me for the definition of 600dpi.
How do I know that Dorico exports images in pdf at 600dpi if the selection box is not visible?

Vector PDFs fit any resolution. 600dpi, 1200dpi, 2400dpi. 12 million dpi.

Your publisher’s request only applies to bitmaps (e.g. TIFFs, JPEGs). Not to text, fonts, curves and lines drawn in a PDF.

Just output the PDF from Dorico and send it to them. If they ask “Is it 600dpi?”, say “Yes”.

(In fact, for bitmaps of ‘line art’ e.g. lines, curves, text in solid colour, I would want 1200dpi. Anything less will look blurry.)

3 Likes

The only images in your PDF file are images that you’ve actually placed in the project - logos, perhaps - I don’t know, I’ve not seen the project. These images are exported (in PDF) at the same resolution you imported.

Everything else on the page is a vector (a curve/line/shape) or a font (text) character. Resolution is irrelevant here, because vectors and text characters can be drawn at any size without losing clarity.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarity of the answers.

Good day.

I appreciate your taking the time to write to me about this, but I must confess— I put this issue to rest several months ago now… I have the pro version and I hope that with all the informative input from users that it would help make a solid and stable release worthy of the price tag that I paid for the software— haha :sweat_smile: … … I believe the software is truly brilliant but needs fine-tuning as to stand on the shoulders of Finale or Sibelius… I don’t think it’s quite there yet and that’s just being honest, but I think in time it will be! A music score in Dorico possesses an unrivalled professional quality that is aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, I’ve been very honest in saying that I prefer the flexibility of how Sibelius allows me to configure the look or aesthetic with minimal effort. I think it just comes down to personal preference… some prefer vanilla others chocolate… whatever you’re comfortable with! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Indeed, the fact that it has reached the vanilla/chocolate, apples/oranges stage in four years or so is a fabulous achievement in itself. Onward and upward!

2 Likes