Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

I would love to see a general modifier in the popovers to hide elements directly: metronome marks, dynamics, time signatures …

11 Likes

Great idea.

1 Like

That would be a great feature

Just a hope - that it puts right the problems of voice changing with tuplets…

Allowing selective display/hide of any object (with an appropriate signpost) is a feature that has been discussed and requested many times on this forum. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that this goes against the Dorico design philosophy of only implementing actions that perform semantically meaningful musical events.

For all of these elements (except for gradual dynamics) there is already a possibility to hide them in the properties. It ist just a question of “do two steps in one”, without having to go to the properties panel.

1 Like

My wish is that perhaps editing grouped dynamics in the dynamics lane has been finally fixed. It has been broken since it was introduced in version 3.1 (I think that was early 2020). It would be such a nice tool if it worked correctly!

The single feature I want for Dorico 4 is…
its arrival.
Soon.
Like, really, really soon.
Now is good, in fact.
Right. Now.

4 Likes

Certainly been a long wait! Be interesting to see how long before the “Dorico 5 Feature Requests” hyper topic starts.

2 Likes

As Dorico’s arrival seems to be dependent upon the final approval of the new licensing scheme, I’m willing to wait. How would you like to get Dorico 4 and have a failure that renders the software unusable?

1 Like

In all fairness to @dspreadbury and all who work on Dorico, the team is in the unenviable position of not being humanly able to address each and every niddling little request or personal desire for the program. And yes, they’re doubtless steeling themselves against the onslaught of but why didn’t you fix X and Y and make more out of Z!? I’m so disappointed!! etc. etc.

Dorico is just a game-changer overall, I haven’t a single qualm about update cost or release timeline or anything. I’m just grateful to be able to work with such a sophisticated example of notation software.

(And yes, my “its arrival” post was tongue-in-cheek.)

3 Likes

Lol. I know the feeling. I use dorico every day professionally, so I’m itching to get my hands on it too.

Two days after release, tops.

I know. I’m already dreading it. There will undoubtedly be some disgruntled people that will vociferously cry “we waited all this time for this?!” Or, “this is totally unacceptable! I’ve been waiting THIS long for XXXX and it’s total garbage without this one feature!” Or, “finale has been able to do XXXX for decades! What the heck!” Or “I requested XXXX two years ago! The team doesn’t care about their users!” :expressionless:

Brace yourselves. It’s coming. May the force be with you (Daniel et al).

6 Likes

Here in New York City, battened down against the cold and the COVID, I am reserving an unopened bottle of Hendricks gin for exquisite celebratory martinis :cocktail: when the release drops. Certainly a worthy occasion.

9 Likes

@Romanos , you forgot the “for software that costs $xxx.xx, you should have read my mind and already included features a, b and c!”

Actually, I have greater faith in the vast majority of the Dorico community, who will be thrilled and pleasantly surprised by all the things the Team comes up with in the new verision. I cannot wait! (Well, actually I can–I have to :grinning:)

1 Like

I don’t want them to work on every middling little request. I want them to do mine. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

One I think I forgot to mention is proper handling of note attached playing techniques and octave lines, because this is an abomination:

4 Likes

I would love something like user definable object ordering, which could have ‘Object Ordering Changes’.

3 Likes

Yes… Even just something like “move the selected item one level up” for things at the same rhythmic position.

1 Like

I believe that adding “select to double-barline” would be useful to me beside options like “select to end of flow”.

1 Like

I think the best workaround here is to select the octave marking, press f to flip it below (then the harmonics circles will be as they should), then move the octave line in Engrave mode (cmd-alt-up arrow a few times). It takes a handful of seconds. But of course, it would be better not to have to do that.

3 Likes