MOTIF-RACK XS VST in Cubase 8 :) workaround

For all moif XS users, and especially for rackXS
As you know, the actual motif VST editor version is not pretty compatible with Cubase 8.
A solution is to launch Cubase together the standalone application (MOTIF-RACK XS Editor Standalone_VST V1.6.4) . You can edit voices and multis in the external editor.
Follow these steps:
connect the main Moitf output (ie. SPDIF) to an available input of your audio interface
in Cubase create a midi track and send its output to FW Motif main midi port and create an audio track with the motif as input. Follow synchronization standard proceeding: in Cubase send midi clock to FW main midi port
That’s all :wink: for me is working very well
A solution to Yamaha update the editor

How is it working now?
Considering getting a Rack XS with the FW card.

Good news appreciated. :smiley:

And here is the workaround explained in detail by Yamaha’s famous expert Bad Mister https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=471:cubase-pro-8-workaround-for-yamaha-vst-editor-users&Itemid=663

Many thanks for the link.

I’m very interested in acquiring the Rack XS despite having all the major software sample instruments.
Can you or anyone comment on how well integrated Yamaha hardware is with Cubase, (issues of C8 as the latest and greatest aside)?

Thanks.

Will there be a update to get it working, I know this is Yamaha’s department but
Steinberg worries me with there instruments All ways changing or dropping them
it was so long before they release a update for Halion 5

According to Bad Mister in the link supplied by HammerCP, there is a fix in the works.
I’m new to all of this as of a few days ago, but in addition to motifator.com as the place for all things Motif, Yamaha has added a forum for the Rack XS here:
Home - Synth.
I’ll take that as a positive sign of ongoing commitment.

HALion has actually been on a steady roll since v4 including the release of v5.1.

I’d like to hear how the Rack XS is working with recent versions of Cubase. Although I’ve been using VSTi almost exclusively for the past few years, the not-so-new model of hardware/software integrations has grabbed my attention.

Cheers.

After a few twists and turns, I can say the External Instrument workaround works very well. And as Bad Mister suggests, it offers more routing flexibility compared to using the Editor as a VST plug-in.