Mouse input and problems with staccato/accent input

i’m using Dorico 2.2.0.1108 on a mac (iMac Pro).

i generally use the mouse to input notes chosing note values from the palette and modifying them with the keyboard command (i.e. ] for staccato, etc.).

lately the keyboard command has stopped working (even though it’s not changed in the preferences) and what’s worse, on mouse input, i can choose a note and the staccato option but when the note in placed the staccato is not (i have to re-choose the note and then add the staccato).

i don’t have a problem with slurs, oddly enough.

i tried restarting Dorico but the problem remains. i’ve attached some screen shots that might be helpful. does anyone else have this problem?

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 4.05.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 4.05.37 PM.png

i don’t know why the second and third screen shots are ‘unavailable’ i will attach them here.
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 4.05.51 PM.png

the third one…

I’ve just tried this in both Dorico 2.2.0.1108 and Dorico 1.2.10.139 and the behaviour is exactly the same in both:

If the caret is NOT invoked, and you select a note value and then an articulation marking, clicking it into the score will only give you the note, not the articulation. The process of entering a note will automatically invoke the caret and from then onwards you can click note values complete with articulation marks.

If you invoke the caret first (anywhere, not necessarily at the staff/system/rhythmic location you’re going to click a note into) you can select a note value and an articulation mark and click them both into the score successfully.

As I say, this is not new behaviour.