Mouse Pointer Becomes A Box After Entering Lyric Text

Greetings:

After entering Lyric text the Mouse Pointer morphs to a “sizing box” and no subsequent trick ( escape, etc. ) returns the pointer. The only way to return the pointer is to Save and Close the Project, then re-open it.
See attached screenshot (“m7” in the LYRIC space).
This happens in all projects so far.

Dorico 4.5
NP 5
iMac / OSX Ventura 13.6.6 /3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 / 8 Gig RAM.

After Text

Are you clicking in an empty area to finish editing the lyric? If so, try hitting Return instead.

I occasionally see this kind of selection box when I click to deselect something – but only for a moment, and it goes away when I click again.

1 Like

Hi , Mark - Thank you for taking the time and for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, it didn’t solve the problem.
Clicking Return, basically entered the equivalent of a “line feed”

making the space between the staves larger.
Still needed to Save, Exit Dorico, and restart the Project:

Are you entering Lyrics, with Shift L popover, or Text, with Shift X ? You can’t do a new line in lyrics, but you can in a Text input window.

I presume you’ve rebooted your computer, just to check it’s not a corruption of data in memory?

(Also, that doesn’t look like a vocal staff, as the dynamics are under the staff, not above it.)

1 Like

@Benwiggy
Re:

Are you entering Lyrics, with Shift L popover, or Text, with Shift X ? You can’t do a new line in lyrics, but you can in a Text input window.

Entered via Write | Create Text | Lyrics.
I am not entering “Lyrics” per-se.
This is a note to the Choral writer / director to suggest that the Altos could also hold a Minor 7th here.

If you read the first sentence of @Mark_Johnson’s suggestion, you will understand why I pressed the Return Key.

I presume you’ve rebooted your computer, just to check it’s not a corruption of data in memory?

It is -without doubt- not a memory, (or hardware, or firmware, or Operating System issue.) Trust me on that.

(Also, that doesn’t look like a vocal staff, as the dynamics are under the staff, not above it.)

1. See #1.

@dspreadbury

** Courtesy Note To Developers**

Although I am using OS/X, this generic problem (other applications and different scenarios) has been more frequently expressed in Windows, somewhat less frequently in Linux, and far less frequently in OS/X. The issue has been generally found to be in the Event Handler API.

WORK AROUND:

Clicking the right mouse button returns the pointer.
Although the box does re-appear again when entering text.