Mousing areas in Audiomontage

(Wow, it took me close to an hour to get access to this forum, Steinberg, is this really necessary? Come on, it’s only a forum…)

Anyway, here is my problem: I use the montage only to assemble material which was recorded in takes and is now stuck together. This works pretty well, but I find that to place the cursor in a clip it is a real aiming game to find the right area within the clip to click with the correct cursor, especially if I am viewing many tracks at once.

All the functions I need are the selection cursor and the “move clip” cursor, plus the ability to move the ends of clips. Is there a way to disable the rest? I keep clicking something which brings up the effects window, and that means the my carefully set up display all goes bonkers.

It’s becoming a real nuissance, especially has I can’t really work out when exactly it brings up this window. I believe it is because there is some tool tip showing up and giving me a link, but only just as I click, so I don’t actually see it most of the time.

Know what I mean?

Johannes

In general, it seems to me that the accuracy required is considerably less than when placing the cursor in a word processor. It’s also easy to magnify the display of the are that you are working on to ensure that everything is of a manageable size. I’ve not had the kind of issue you describe, but I admit I hardly ever have more than eight tracks (the maximum I’ve used was twelve).

Paul

This would mean a possibility to customize mouse interactions. Why not. I note this as a possibility for an update.

I do personally find that this is a bit more finicky in Wavelab 7 than in previous versions. I work in fairly complex projects, however, but have found that I can keep the track numbers considerably lower in Wavelab than in previous programs I used with similar flexibility and fluidity…Generally, anything over about 6 tracks tends to be unnecessary if one organizes carefully, pulls clips onto existent tracks once you have done working with them separately, etc. In the Montage, except in a surround project, tracks are simply organizational tools and have virtually no exterior meaning, so they can be freely created and deleted as needed…realizing that you can keep clips lined up in time, but change tracks they are on, by shift/clicking and dragging up or down.

Even with larger track counts, however, it is fairly easy to minimize other track displays to allow you more height for any given track you are working on. Keeping an overview (navigator) window open now and then can help you keep this whole way of working more obvious and organized, too.

Part of the problem with Wavelab 7 in this regard is the minimalist version of the manual available, so there is not always an easy reference for the navigating tools in the Montage, at least compared to earlier manuals.

This all being said, I think this is an important area to keep discussing here, so I personally think we would all benefit from specific navigation and selection frustration questions being expressed here so that more experienced users and/or Phillipe could address them in the forum.

One of my personal frustrations, even from earlier versions, has to do with how you make sure which clip you are selecting when you have multiple, overlapping clips on the same track. I don’t THINK this is explained in the current manual, and I am concerned that some commands, etc. have changed, since some of my favorite navigation commands from earlier versions have definitely change in WL 7.

The other issue with WL7 in this regard is the availability of more, floating windows on your workscreen. This requires a bit of thought in the setup, or use of dual displays.

Re the manual, yes that is a major frustration with Wavelab 7. Having no experience with earlier versions, and especially with extremely non-Mac-like GUI it is sometimes very hard to even understand how to access certain options.

It would be great to be able to customize the mousing areas inside a track.

BTW I simply have to work with many more tracks than six at once. This is classical recording in takes, and sometimes, on a difficult passage, there may well be 20 takes of the same passage. Ideally I’d like to see them all at once (but I am on a small MacBook display at the moment, so that is part of the problem, a very crowded display).

However, another part of the problem is that once the effects area has opened, and I closed it again, the track display has changed in that it display less tracks at once. I find myself constantly resetting this by by pressing Command-Shift-L repeatedly.

You’re asking something of the program that it was not intended to do. The audio montage is not a multitrack recorder, but a multitrack editing / mastering environment. Cubase or Nuendo suits your purpose much better.

Luck, Arjan

I don’t understand, I am not doing anything multitrack at all, it’s all in stereo.

In fact I don’t think Cubase even could do at all what I do, and certainly a lot worse than Wavelab

Hi,

I also work with takes classical editing
it’s possible to make an reference Montage
with all takes and then make an second Montage
to do the final editing and then copy/paste but I agree it could be very
useful in the future to have a Montage track with
all takes included and hide this when you don’t need to see it !

Like an track folder inside the Montage :slight_smile:

regards S-EH

It’s interesting to hear how others do it. Do you arrange your source tracks so that each take is placed on a time line? I find, although this takes some time to be set up, it really makes my life much easier.

I then use the top track as the destination, why do you need a second montage for this?

Johannes

I do as you, but only for the section I am working on at the time (I generally have very few takes anyway).

Paul

Some sort of sub folder is an interesting idea, but the separate montage is a potential solution, though I would agree that 20 takes of any particular passage is a lot to deal with at once. However, with the ability to minimize tracks and scroll up and down, it is certainly not out of the question to use the program as is.

I came up in the days of analogue tape, and have vivid memories of folks at NPR taping individual pieces of tape on the walls of editing booths as their “folders” of alternate takes or outtakes. I am not suggesting we all go back there, but that there is another part of the process that should be looked at.

It is certainly a good thing to build in as many conveniences into any program that one can get out of the programmers, but it is also very smart to find ways to do your work that organize it around what exists…and what the actual components are of your editing process…particularly how many takes one can compare directly at once.

In other words, even with the best set of hidden folders, etc., one can only keep 2 or 3 takes in your forebrain for DIRECT comparison, requiring lots of listening, notation and organization around these direct comparisons…no matter what the program allows on the screen.

I can conceive of many ways to arrange 20 takes in a Montage with fairly good access considering these requirements of how I would personally have to approach editing a multi-take classical performance, so this makes me curious as to how others would do this, and what they find easy or what they find hard about doing this within Wavelab…so, perhaps, this is a good area for general discussion here.

For many years, I used MTU’s Microsound system, which allowed unlimited clips one above the other in the same place on the time line, and total fluid movement of these clips around the project…but did not show waveforms except when needed, and only on the whole project or single clips…sort of like working with pieces of tape. Within that environment, the primary organizational tool needed to keep a handle on hudreds or thousands of clips inside a project, aside from grouping, was the ability to give each clip a unique name…or at least that is my memory of how it worked. I have not used the program much for 8 or 10 years now, so memories are getting a little fuzzy.

Once I realized that tracks were simply an organizational tool most of the time in Wavelab’s Montage, I jumped in with both feet and never looked back…and quickly realized that my editing was not only more nuanced, but faster in Wavelab than it had been in Microsound…However, I had not thought in a long time about the unlimited clip stacking without tracks, and how there might be occasionally be advantages to that kind of setup.

At any rate, I have never found any new limitations imposed by the GUI in Wavelab, but am extremely curious about anyone else’s needs, frustrations and/or working methods. I know that my own methods are still heavily informed by my time cutting analogue tape with a razor blade.

Ah, language mixup; you were speaking of “classical recording in takes”, but you don’t record in takes (which makes total sense for classical). Nevermind.

Luck, Arjan

JeGebauer

I then use the top track as the destination, why do you need a second montage for this?

mostly if in multitrack array like with more than 4-8 channels, then it’s easier for me
to keep the original takes in one Montage as source and the second Montage or more
as an destination/workbench, if stereo editing it depends :slight_smile:

regards S-EH