Movement in a voice

Good evening to all,
To move in the second voice,for example,with the right-left keys does not succeed. The selection jumps between the voices or instruments. One begins to search the selection.
What is the reason ???
Eggi

I was just in the middle of creating the same topic. Here is what I was about to post:

"I’m working with an SATB score, where the rhythm is largely shared between parts. I find it easiest to write in the soprano part, copy & paste it into the other parts, and then adjust the pitches (and rhythms) as necessary.

The problem I’m running into is that when using the left/right arrow keys to navigate within a part, the selection sometimes jumps to another part in the system. For instance, I’m editing the Bass part, press left/right arrow key, and suddenly I’m in the Alto part.

Similarly, when using the up/down arrows to move between parts, the selection sometimes skips to another part of score.

This doesn’t happen when using the caret, only in note selection mode.

I changed to galley view, to see if that changed the behaviour, but while it made it less likely for me to make a mistake, the jumping around still occurs."

The arrow keys just move to whatever the closest item is in that direction. They’re not locked to a specific voice or even a specific stave.

Also, it’s been acknowledged that this behavior isn’t really reliable. You can select a lyric, for example, and use the right arrow to go to subsequent ones, but you’ll probably find it jumps at some point.

I can’t find the thread(s) at the moment, but it does need to be improved. Sometimes it drives me a little nuts.

Hello Dan, what makes you crazy, the tread(s) or always the same questions. I’m sorry…

My understanding is that it’s Dorico’s behaviour that frustrates Dan, here, not the questions!

Yes, I mean the horizontal selection behavior drives me crazy!

Chris, you might prefer using L (Lock Duration) to repitch. With L turned on you can use Space to skip to the next note, and if you come to a note whose rhythm you need to change you can type the number key for the relevant value and Dorico will automatically switch to note input mode.

Thanks. That works perfectly and will save me a lot of headaches!

Hey Dan,
and here is another problem. In Note Input Mode, my Caret doesn’t go back with the left arrow. When I’m using the left arrow, I have the same behavior than in Non-Input-Mode. The left arrow goes from one note to the previous, but the caret doesn’t move at all. When using the right/up/down arrows, everything works like it should be…Jezus…are these bugs or am I too stupid? It seems the evening of getting lots of grey hair over here !

That’s so random. I’ve never, ever heard of that happening before. Your tuplet issue is baffling too.

Sorry. I know it’s no help, but I don’t think it’s a Dorico problem.

yeeeahhhh…happy that it only happens to me :slight_smile:))
thanx anyway

I think it has something to do with your shift key. It’s got to be related. Perhaps a keyboard malfunction or an issue with your OS?

In note input mode, shift-left arrow does not move the caret, it just moves the selection to the left.

i’m not using the shift key at all to move the caret…the left caret (without shift) moves the selection to the left but not the caret…right/up/down arrows are working perfectly…no idea…but it can’t be my shift key :wink:

I know. I’m saying perhaps the OS is conflating the Shift key somehow. Sorry, that’s all I’ve got…

Could you tell us which machine you run, and which language you use? You seem to have a very specific problem, this information could help (or fill in the signature features of your profile…)

ah, got it…thanx a lot Dan !

Hey Marc,
I run a ‘pimped’ Mac Pro from 2009, 2 x 2,93 Ghz Quad Core, 32 GB Ram and OS X 10.13.5
I have a British English Qwerty keyboard. Within Dorico I’m using the ‘Standard’ keyboard which might be a mistake IMHO opinion.
Does this help?
Thanx a lot.

Yep, …I changed to ‘English’ for input keyboard within Dorico and everything works fine :wink:
Thanx for all

I’m not sure what you mean by “standard keyboard”, but US and UK keyboards are certainly different. They don’t even have the same physical layout of the keys, aside from the fact that some special characters are in different places. A-Z and 0-9 are the same on both, of course.