Moving between projects within Cubase without freezing/crashing.

When you close one project then open another within Cubase. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it, but on other occasions Cubase can freeze right away. Not always immediately in my case, usually when changing the parameters of a plugin. Cubase is not fussy about which plugin, although Kontakt and Arturia seem to be most often the culprit. This never happens if I close Cubase and restart between projects which in now my habit. Switching between projects is not something I normally do, unless I am reclaiming an older part.

I am aware that there might well be other factors at play, that it might be third party issues. It is, however, an interaction with Cubase that I would like to get to the bottom of.

I can’t say I have any problems, and I switch projects all the time.
But when I close a project, I wait 5 seconds after the project closes before I open the next one.
It just has become a habit, I had some weird behavior when I was running a MOTU 828mk2, that was fixed with a driver update.
I just still wait a few seconds to be safe.
I definitely think it could be a driver issue, have you tried turning off or unplugging devices, just to see if it changes anything ?

Thanks for your input. Do you use Kontakt by any chance?
By devices do you mean soundcards?

I don’t use Kontakt.
By devices I mean soundcard, midi interfaces, well anything that uses a driver to communicate with Cubase.
Just to see if there is some specific hardware that could be the offender, before moving on to software/plugins.

Thanks. It is interesting that you do not use Kontakt and have no issues. I am wondering if there is a link there. When I use Kontakt I often use many different sampled instruments with the resultant loading of samples. Maybe there is some kind of interaction there. I will try your delay tactic between closing one project and loading another. Do you use any other sample based instrument?

No Kontact, no problems closing/reopening here. I use Halion Sonic SE, EZ Drums 2, PianoTeq, Jamstix mainly.

How are you closing projects? I always use CTRL-W.

Given that I think it has something to do with Kontakt I should try some projects without Kontakt - or rather create one without as I use Kontakt and BFD3 in nearly every project I do.

Yes CTRL + W usually or I just close the window. I am not sure it would make much difference. I usually keep the power meter up to seem when the window has properly closed.

I don’t use Kontakt in some of these projects, though. Also, this happens on my studio mate’s Windows machine as well, and also with a couple other composers I know when I asked them, both Mac and Windows. The size of the project that’s necessary to make this happen is an important factor for all of us – it pretty much ONLY happens with much larger projects, and most often after a few different projects have been closed/un-loaded/opened.

It’s very important to note the size of the sessions (RAM usage, maybe file size too) for those who are not experiencing this issue, since it seems to only happen in big ones. AGAIN: It DOES NOT happen with smaller-sized projects for me and the others I personally know who are experiencing the issue.

Ha ha ha. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. It’s a living, I guess. :slight_smile:

I do get this but it seemed to improved a lot with v9. In 8 I used to get a crash practically everytime I jumped projects. I put it down to my Hardware, Virus TI getting confused in the jump. Now with v9 we don’t have to reset it outside of Cubase first.

On a similar but different tip, what i would like to see is when you X a project and have others loaded it doesn’t automatically load the project underneath. Sometimes I forget and now we have to wait for it to load the other project before we can X that one.

That makes sense – I’m glad you’re seeing an improvement.

The problem is that the general problem is the same on multiple systems that I know of, with very different hardware and setups (both Mac and Windows). I personally haven’t seen an improvement with C9.

Don’t the crash dumps tell us anything about the problem. Can’t we all compare those?

Good idea, though I usually can’t make heads or tails of the crash dumps. I’ll look at them when I can this week.

I don’t think the crash dumps are generated by the freeze.

Next time you are having a cash dump pass some my way as I have my eye on a lovely Collings i35. :laughing:

Hahahaha!! I wouldn’t tell the forum if I found that. :smiley:

Now i’m not sure if people are joking or not! lol!!!

Well we do try to find humour in the face of the most trying problems. :wink: