Moving Cubase 8 to new computer - just transfer dongle?

Hi,

Will be upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 soon - either a clean install on current PC, or possibly on whole new PC (not decided yet…)

Either way, want to make sure I don’t run into any issues with licence!

Do I just need to plug the dongle containing my Cubase 8 license into the new computer (or leave it plugged into current one if just do clean install of Win10 on current system) - or is there anything else I need to do? e.g. with some plugins I think you need to de-authorise first, then re-authorise on new system.

Thanks!

As far as I know a clean install is typically better than an upgrade. If you do that then install all software from scratch of course, and once you’ve updated everything including the eLicenser Control Center you should be able to just plug the eLicenser USB key into an available USB port and that’s it.

I obviously don’t know what else applies to your situation since I don’t know what other software you’ll use.

Thanks for the reply - yes, will definitely be doing a clean install.

Sounds like it’s a simple procedure then - but just to clarify, there’s definitely no need to de-activate/de-authorise Cubase 8 on my old machine before installing it on the new one?

No need to deactivate, that’s an advantage of a hardware dongle. Some would say the only one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks! Looks like moving Cubase to a new machine will be no problem at all.

Now just need to figure out the procedure for all my plugins…

If you have any Waves plugins , make sure those licenses are transferred to either the Cloud , or to another dongle , before wiping your hard-drive.