Moving Fingering on tied notes

I want to put the fingering (left hand) to the right of the notes. In the properties panel I activate ‘Position left of notehead’. When I move the fingering to the right in Engrave Mode, the fingering pushes the notes to the right and the space between the tied notes increases, but I don’t get the fingering to the right of the notes. This only happens with tied notes.

This might help (no guarantees given):

In Engrave mode, select a fingering and move it to where you want it.
Open the Properties panel and in the Fingering and Positions section, see if checking and unchecking Position left of notehead makes any difference. It might be that this property is (or had been) selected in addition to moving the fingering manually in Engrave mode.
After changing this property, it is very likely that the fingering will move - try dragging it back to where you want it.

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried it but no result…

I’ve just re-read your original post (more carefully this time) and it says you had already tried that. Have you tried leaving Position left of notehead unchecked?

If you want to cut down your project to the bars affected and post it here, I’ll have a look at it and see if I can figure out what is causing the problem.

I use the position-left-of-notehead-function so the backgound will be erased.Fingering.dorico (562.7 KB)

OK.
I managed to fix it by positioning the fingering so that it does not collide with the tie.
To illustrate this, if you drag the fingering on top of the tie, the tie will move out of the way.

Fingering-2.dorico (562.6 KB)

That is a good one, thanks! It is still impossible to move the fingering to the right of the tied notes though, but this is good enough.

I’m not sure if this is what you are trying to achieve, but the fingerings are to the right of the tied notes.
I untied the notes and applied laissez vibrer ties to the F and E flat eighth notes, and then lengthened the l.v. ties in Engrave mode.

Playback is affected - the “tied” notes play back separately.

Fingering-3.dorico (463.2 KB)

Yes, that was my workaround too, but I will use your first solution, thanks!

OK, good.
Ultimately it’s your choice.

Has anyone raised “position right of notehead” as a feature request? It seems to me that this would be a frequent requirement, as it is in the Chopin piece I’m transcribing right now!

Piano fingering is normally placed above, below and to the left of the note heads. It is placed to the right of the note heads very rarely and as a last resort. So the usage seen in the OP example is non-standard in this and other ways.

However, Dorico should be able to place the fingering anywhere. I assume that one can do this by hand in Engrave mode if not automatically.

Thanks John. I agree that this can be achieved with some work, but it struck me that it can’t be too bad in terms of coding and gives us efficient ways to achieve our ends, which imo is where Dorico excels. Couple of examples from my reference PDF below. I can live with it for now! :slight_smile:

You are absolutely right, Rob, Dorico should have a right-of-the-note heads option.

However, in the particular cases you gave, I think that the fingering is obvious and best omitted.