Moving notes after barline

Hello guys, I’m quite new to dorico… i need to move this 32nd note after the barline…is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

If it is just that note: change the rhythmic grid to 32nd notes > select the note > Alt/Opt+right arrow

Select the notes that are misaligned.
Set your rhythmic grid to a 32nd note in the lower lefthand corner.
Use ALT/OPT + Right-Arrow key to move the passage right.

(As Daniel said.)

1 Like

To increase the rhythmic grid: Alt/Opt+[
To decrease: Alt/Opt+]

Thanks for your quick reply!but I did that already and i end up lending on the first beat which I don’t need.i need it to be before the first beat so it sounds like the rest of the bar.
Thanks

I’ve tried this keyboard shortcut and it doesn’t work for me :thinking: :smiling_face_with_tear:

So you want a grace note? If not, I’m not sure what you mean by “I want it after the barline but not on the first beat”.

I’m afraid I am not clear what you are seeking. All three of your figures in the illustration begin before the beat and have the second 32nd note landing on the beat.

No… the very first 32nd note on each figure starts before the beat right? …but I can’t figure out how to do the first figure like the others…
IMG_2408

The first one is an accacciatura, and the other one is how it sounds

An acciaccatura has the slash on the stem and is usually before the beat; an appoggiatura has no slash and is very often performed on the beat.

Is one of these to your liking?

Simply put (assuming I interpret your intention correctly):

You can’t, because it simply is wrong notation. The beginning of any bar is the downbeat. Even if in notation there is an optical gap before the first note or rest symbol you cannot put anything there that would be played before beat one. Before beat one means: somewhere at the end of the preceding bar.

Your whole example from your first post goes against good notation practice. Whenever a group of notes that can be beamed together starts with a new beam, it is assumed, that the first note of that group falls onto a beat. Any trained musician would be confused by your example measure.

If you actually want an acciatura-style note before each beat which is exactly the duration of a 32nd you have to put it exactly where it is, just as dorico does it, but you definitely should split the beams according to meter:

Slice 1.pdf (8.5 KB)

This will be clear to any professional musician. If the duration does not have to be exactly a 32nd but just short you can notate the cs as quarter notes and use accicccaturas on every one of them:

Slice 2.pdf (7.4 KB)

If for any reason you insist on your wrong way you can accomplish that only by a workaround with hidden tuplets.

1 Like

Im talking about an accacciatura, and an accacciatura is played before the beat…so my question is, how im going to move the whole figure in the bar?

Many thanks for your reply…wasn’t sure about it…
Thanks !

Well if you do want an accacciatura that’s played before the beat then I don’t understand why you would notate it in the way you have (beginning on the beat).

I apologise if I am misunderstanding something.

1 Like

It depends also on the language of the keyboard…

You can define all sorts of shortcuts for the rhythmic grid in the Key Command window of the Preferences:

2 Likes

These key commands are so powerful :heart_eyes:
THX @Christian_R

1 Like