Moving projects back and forth 2 computers

Hi, I am a 25 year cubase veteran, just havn’t been here in a while.

I am currently Using cubase 8 and composing on two computers. I am looking for the best practice for doing this.

I typically am home and using my studio pc in the evening, then wish to move project to my laptop so I can work on it during the day during lunch at work, then return to studio in the evening. Repeat this for about 2 weeks.

Here is what I currently do from the very beginning of creating the project on the Studio PC

Step 1 ( Create Project and Put project on USB drive)
Currently I would start on the studio pc and save all project files to a folder named for the song, lets call it “SONGX” , use “Backup Project” to put project on USB drive (under a folder with same name, “SONGX”).

Step 2. (Move project to Laptop and edit for day)
Put USB in laptop, open the project on the USB then and “Backup Project” to laptop drive under a new folder with same song name, “SONGX”.

Step 3 (Move project off of laptop and back onto USB Drive)
Once done for the day on the laptop, I will delete the CONTENTs of the “SONGX” folder on the USB, then “Backup Project” on the laptop to the now empty “SONGX” folder on the USB drive. (folder must be empty for “Backup Project” to work, no option to overwrite)

Step 4 (Move newer version of project BACK to studio PC)
When I get home, I would go to “SONGX” folder on the studio pc and delete the contents. (Scary! folder must be empty for “Backup Project” to work, no option to overwrite) On the studio PC open the project from the “SONGX” folder on the USB drive and then “Backup Project” to the now empty “SONGX” folder on the PC.

Step 5 (Move off of Studio PC back onto USB Drive)
I will delete the CONTENTs of the “SONGX” folder on the USB, then “Backup Project” on the Studio PC to the now empty “SONGX” folder on the USB drive. (folder must be empty for “Backup Project” to work, no option to overwrite)

Step 6 (move off of USB Drive and back onto laptop)
Go to “SONGX” folder on the laptop and delete the contents. (Scary! folder must be empty for “Backup Project” to work, no option to overwrite) On the laptop open the project from the “SONGX” folder on the USB drive and then “Backup Project” to the now empty “SONGX” folder on the laptop.

Repeat as needed, lol.

When composing the file sizes and/or number of files are not huge so that is not an issue for me using this method. It seems like I listed extra steps, but this is due to my listing starting from scratch.

It sounds like a lot, but actually is fairly quick. I just wanted to make sure that there was not a simpler or easier way.

So if you know a better way to do this please let me know, thanks!

1 Like

Hi there,

A few years down the line, but I’m about to begin the same process, composing across two computers with Cubase Artist 9.5. I found your process description really helpful.

Did you ever find an easier way? I’m interested to know.

I’ve read a bit about ‘Prepare Archive’, but is this only relevant to audio files contained within the project? I very rarely use audio files within a project; as a composition tool I’m mainly using VST and midi tracks.

But I’d love to hear if there is a better way. I have a brand new laptop with a currently empty internal hard drive (D:) and I am planning on just reinstalling all my samples on that. But I am worried about Cubase still looking for each project’s relevant samples on the external G: drive I have plugged into my main PC at home. Is it best that I instead just continue to share the samples on this external drive between both machines, or is there a way of making Cubase automically realise that when I am on my PC it should look for samples in G: and when I’m on my laptop it should find them in D: ?

Many thanks - any help much appreciated.

Benjamin