Moving settings to a new computer

I just got CB12.0.30 installed on a new mac laptop so that I can do some music production while on the road. I see there’s an entry in the manual about copying your settings to a new computer, but I’m not sure if I should copy the entire ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 12 folder over to the new computer, or just some of the files (like, do I need the caches?). And how to keep them in sync? I guess use a tool like rsync is probably the best solution?

I’ve always copied the entire folder, no problem. Ignore the cache files.

For syncing rsync would be an option, if you remember to always sync in the right direction.
Some cloud storage providers offer apps where you can select which folders to sync, or if you have a NAS, you could use GoodSync (see Cubase on a server - #5 by Timo00).

Hi,

Use the Profiles on Cubase, please.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks @Martin.Jirsak I will give that a try.

What about project templates? That seems to be the other thing I’ll need to copy over.

It seems like the way to move a project template is to open it, archive it, then copy the resulting file over. It seems to have worked, except for some old Focusrite plugins that work on the old computer but are no longer compatible with newer versions of macOS, so can’t be activated.

Hi,

Templates are common projects just in a specific folder. So you can either Backup them out just copy the Template folder over to the new computer.

1 Like