MP3 Export Pops - Cubase 6.5

Hey All,

first post so I hope this is the right place. I ran a search but did not find any resolution.

1. I am using Cubase 6.5 with a Lynx 2C audio card. Windows 7 64bit
  2. Using Lynx ASIO driver
  3. When export mix to MP3 I get pops in the output audio
  4. Pops are not present during WAV mixdown

I am unsure how to resolve this so any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve.

Hello,

Do you use real-time export, or offline?

For a mixdown you can also select no driver. The driver you are using is not relevant to the problem.

Are the pops also realy written in the mp3 data file?
Does this problem happen every project? Does the problem happen with an empty project in which you have only loaded one audio track? Could the problem be related to a plugin? How exactly are you testing or playing back the mp3 after the export? And as Martin.Jirsak asked, are you using realtime or offline export?

Greetings,
JHP

Are the pops also realy written in the mp3 data file?

• not sure what you mean. They are audible in the MP3 output export file.

Does this problem happen every project?

• I tested a couple of others and yes, it seems to occur.

Does the problem happen with an empty project in which you have only loaded one audio track?

• have not tested this

Could the problem be related to a plugin?

• only plugins are Arturia 2600v2 and the native Cubase effects

How exactly are you testing or playing back the mp3 after the export?

• media player

And as Martin.Jirsak asked, are you using realtime or offline export?

• both. it seems to happen more in non real time but that might be coincidence

Project is 44100 24 bit.

Thanks guys, i really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Additionally, the pops are irregular. EG I play it once and they happen at a certain point, play it again they happen elsewhere… So that means that the pops themselves arent embedding in the MP3 but that something about the nature of the MP3 is causing irregular symptoms.

This also occurs in ITUNES (so not limited to media player) and this symptom does NOT occur with other mp3s that were not exported from audio in Cubase (eg my song collection).

Which leaves me wondering what the issue really is… ?

Steve.

Try to import the MP3 file back to the Cubase, and watch it. Maybye, you can fing these pops by your eyes. I think JHP means, if this is not problem during the playback only. Maybye wrong player.

Try to test it. And try to create project with silence, and export it to the MP3 too. Are there pops?

Try to use 44100 16bit.

This is important!

It looks, this is not Cubase problem, this is playback problem. It means, these pops are not in the MP3 file.

What MP3 encoder is used, and which settings? (sample frequency, bit rate, CBR/VBR, etc.)

The MP3 encoder is the one inside cubase. Via the export process.

Regards bitrate of project, I cant really change that as I have a LOT of projects that already exist and I need them to run in 44100 24 bit. Is that what you mean?

Pops happen in Windows MP and also Itunes and only with cubase exported files. So it is already very strange.

I am not certain it is Cubase of course, but I am not certain it is not. I will try the other tests suggested later in the week when I have some time and answer here.

Thanks for the input and assistance so far.

We’d like to know what settings you used in the mp3 export in Cubase. :slight_smile: