mp3 save parameters

Why have we to select again when we save a mp3 file and wavelab element couldn’t take the last parameters from the last mp3 saving ?
(not in the redering but if you re-save a mp3 after editing)

Did you try this option?
2016-07-17_14-44-08.png

A nice option but I think the original question is why you can’t open an mp3, edit the mp3, and then have it automatically save as mp3 to the original bitrate of the source mp3.

I think the answer would be that WaveLab has to decode the mp3 to WAV to make any edits to the file, which means that saving again as mp3 results in transcoding (mp3 of an mp3…) and poor sound quality.

What would be the chances of WaveLab being able to directly edit mp3 and AAC files as you can with this app?:
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

I personally don’t ever edit mp3 files but I think there is possibly a need for it for others (for better or worse). For now, I think if you want to keep the best possible sound quality of the mp3, it’s best to edit an mp3 in something like mp3 direct cut app. mp3 and AAC were not necessarily designed to be processed any more after the encoding process, but of course people do it.

Editing mp3 is a bad procedure as you loose quality. Hence there are few options in this area.
Mp3 direct editing is bound to mp3 frames, which is not Good. Mp3 was never created to be edited.

My feeling as well but unfortunately, people still try to it.

Even so - if it is possible in an app like MP3 Direct Cut, why not make it possible in WL? I sometimes use this app for quick edits in podcasts for personal use and it works fine.

Even so - if it is possible in an app like MP3 Direct Cut, why not make it possible in WL? I sometimes use this app for quick edits in podcasts for personal use and it works fine.

Because low in the priority list.

It’s a completely different process. I imagine it would require WaveLab to convert the MP3 for display in the “standard” editing interface, and to have a parallel task running which would accept edit commands, quantise them onto MP3 frames, and transmit the update back to the (modified) “standard” editor so that the display corresponded with what was actually done with in limited rules of that kind of processing. All I can say as a former programmer is that I wouldn’t have liked being given a task like that! Stick with the program written for the purpose.

Paul

No, you’re seeing way too much in what MP3DirectCut does - and the MP3 obviously should NOT be converted since that is the whole point of the application. But I’m perfectly happy with WL for real editing and MP3DC for quick cutting without de- and encoding.

Yes I would to explain to you more in details :

If I want to render a wav 's file to an mp3 directly I code mp3 in the rendering windows.
So If I want to change level or to cancel CC offset for example and quit with ‘save’
I have to re-enter all parameters same of the rendering box;

Maybe you’ll tell me that cancel CC offset in a mp3 makes really not differences ! :smiley: (and maybe I’ll believe you !)

But it’s annoying. A simple checkbox like in the rendering windows (like you shown PG in your screenshot)
will be really appreciated :sunglasses:

1 Like