MP3-to-FLAC_SoundReef_Metadata_Questions

Anyone with experience delivering files to clients so they can upload to Soundreef? While I fine Soundreef’s technical requirements odd, I believe there’s an explanation for it–that this makes the files absolutely compatible with worldwide platforms.

Question: Soundreef wants a 128kbps MP3 encoding, saved as a .flac file. That’s easy, right? Not exactly…
So, I encode an MP3 as needed, then save as a .flac file. Meta-data in the MP3 is dumped. And, the .flac encoding changes the file’s peaks, so watch those intersample peaks!

So, I can edit the .flac meta-data, but Wavelab can’t save the “changed” file. It can only save a copy under a new filename. Is this a problem, or expected? Also, is the edited file saved as a new file changed in any other way as far as audio content?

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Not only is that not easy, it’s not possible.

Believe it or not, it was required for Sound Reef. And, so, yes, you can save a previously rendered MP3 as a new .flac file, and it plays back. However, there must be a way to verify it doesn’t “change” the MP3 audio.

No you can’t, however you can convert it to a FLAC, though I fail to see the point, as MP3 is lossy, and converting an MP3-encoded file to a lossless format such as FLAC makes no sense – unless of course quality is not a consideration.

That’s a pretty low bar.

I should restate: Wavelab allows me to convert the MP3 file to .FLAC by way of “Save As”, and playback sounds fine.
And yes, it seems quite pointless as I mentioned this to SoundReef support. But it’s their way, I suppose.

The conversion to MP3 in the first place probably does some normalisation in the frequency domain which makes it easier to recognise the file algorithmically - the conversion back to flac or wav retains this property.

That’s just a guess, though.

Paul

Let’s just hope this crew are not extracting a premium payment from unsuspecting consumers of such bastardised content!