MPE: MIDI release velocity - I don't see it in Cubase 10

I’ve been looking for “MIDI release velocity” as a Note Expression but haven’t found it. I want to use Roli’s Equator instrument and this parameter is important for what I’m trying to do. There are 5 expression parameters in Roli’s MPE implementation (using Roli Seaboard RISE) and this is one of them. As far as I can tell release velocity is the only one missing. (Roli called it “Lift”). I was assuming Cubase 10 would include a full MPE implementation. Anyone know where to find this or know if its even there?

Hi,

There is Note Off Velocity parameter in Cubase. You can edit it for example in Key Editor.

You can also process it by using Input Transformer or Logical Editor:
Type is > Equal > Note > And
Value 3 (Off Velocity) > Equal > xx
…do action.

Could you please explain, what do you want to achieve?

Thanks for the reply. I want to use my Roli Seaboard RISE 49 to play and record Note Off Velocity. My keyboard sends it when I release a note but I couldn’t figure out how to set it up in Cubase so I can record it and have it play back. Using Equator as the synth.

Kinda new to this so not sure how to access it. It doesn’t appear in Note Expressions in the Inspector.

Hi, you don’t have to do anything, the note off velocity is automatically supported. And Equator should already use it out of the box, no need to setup anything.

Hope this helps.

O wow. Then if I record I should see it in the key editor as note expression curve. Going to check it out. Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Not as a curve, you will see it as a value. The same as the Note On value. There is no time involved/needed.

I see pitchbend, aftertouch, CC74 and velocity in the key editor, but no release velocity. I hear the release velocity when I play the clip but I don’t see it in the editor… How do I add this parameter to the editor. I don’t see it in the MIDI controller setup window in the key editor…

Hi,

You can edit it same as the Not On in the Info Line. It’s not in the controller line.

This is not the case for me. Here’s the key editor showing the velocity value. I hear the note off in the recording but see no parameter in the pull down called release velocity or note off velocity:

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 3.32.48 PM.png

Hi,

It doesn’t make sense to change the parameter while the Note is played back. Therefore there is only a static value.

See attached screenshot, please.

O! I see. Thanks very much for the response. Yes, makes sense what you say. Wasn’t thinking about it the right way. Much appreciated…