MR816 and Win10 - six days of frustration and counting...

Hi, I meant my motherboard which contains a firewire chipset from VIA. I do also have a PCI Express FW card, but this one also has the VIA chipset.

Also consider swapping cables, FW cables are know to be problematic when lightly damaged, I have had my share of problems with cables to.

Today’s adventures:

disconnected fw card
removed second hdd
removed steinberg dongle
fresh install of win7
removed wifi adapter

**only things left plugged in are wireless keyboard/mouse receiver, two monitors
uninstalled bullguard internet security
uninstalled winzip 18.5
uninstalled wordperfect office filter 32-bit
uninstalled wordperfect office filter 64-bit
uninstalled wordperfect office x7
uninstalled soundMAX
tried to uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.6383 - error message “There was a problem starting C:\Program - the specified module could not be found”

Only things left are:
Intel Management Engine Interface
Microsoft .net framework 4.5.1
Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.60610
Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.60610
… and the REaltek audio driver that would not install as above.

Currently, device manager showing no cautions/errors. No Sound/Audio/Game controllers category displaying.

Shut down. Install Firewire card and reconnect other HDD.
MR816 still off.
Restart

Device manager now shows Sound video and game controllers > High Definition Audio Device. I disabled it.
Shows a caution beside the firewire card “This device cannot start. Code 10”
Under driver software installation (the one that automatically comes up when you connect something), it shows that the driver was not successfully isntalled

• lists Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller = X failed
    Going to “update driver” - I get “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.”
    Under “driver details” - it shows C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\1394ohci.sys - 6.1.7601.16385; signed by microsoft windows

restart

device manager - went to “update driver” for firewire card - still got error code 10 cannot start for texas instruments driver
installed 1394 OHCI compliant host controller (legacy) instead.
installed fine

device manager - high definition audio device still installed but also still disabled
copied and pasted Tools for MR_V177_Win64 from “studio backup” drive to desktop
ran as administrator - MR816 still off (only program running is notepad)

device manager - shows Steinberg FW Bus under Sound, video and game controllers

• “this device is working properly”
  • driver details = V 1.5.1.1; signed by Yamaha Corporation; date = 12/14/2015
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys - ver 6.1.7600 - signed by microsoft corporation
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ysfwbus.sys - ver 1.5.1 - not digitally signed (???!!)

restart

“failed to initialize” - This is the FW driver itself. I haven’t even turned on the MR816!
Turn on MR816 - nothing new even shows up in the device manager

went to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\

• tried to rename ksthunk.sys to xxksthunk.sys - “You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file.”
    went to C:\windows folder and made myself the “owner”
  • tried to rename it again and got “you need permission…” again

turned off MR816 and restart computer

made myself the owner of the windows/drivers folder

changed ksthunk.sys to xxksthunk.sys

restart

device manager - Yamaha Steinberg FW bus - shows caution

• general - windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)
  • driver > driver details - C:\Windows\system32\drivers\yfwbus.sys
  • update driver - search for driver software in this location: C:\users\chris\desktop\Tools_for_MR_V177_Win64\driver (check include subfolders)
  • “windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date”
  • update driver - pick from a list: Steinberg FW Bus - windows found driver software for your device but encoutered an error while attempting to install it. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)
  • renamed xxksthunk.sys back to ksthunk.sys

restart

failed to initialize - MR816, once again, is not even on. This is the FW driver.

assigned permissions for windows and driver folders back to TrustedInstaller
did system restore to fix anything where I mucked with permissions back to when I removed the SoundMAX driver and before I installed the Steinberg FW driver

• while this was occurring, I tried the MR816 and the firewire card in my other computer and it worked fine on the first go.

Restart

reinstall drivers and utilities for MR816
Steinberg FW bus shows up in device manager again

• “this device is working properly”
  • driver details = V 1.5.1.1; signed by Yamaha Corporation; date = 12/14/2015
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys - ver 6.1.7600 - signed by microsoft corporation (on the working system, this driver is not present)
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ysfwbus.sys - ver 1.5.1 - not digitally signed (???!!)

Turn on MR816
all drivers seemed to load correctly this time ??!!

Installing Wifi adapter driver.
after trying about 15 different approaches, I cannot get wifi adapter to install. various “cannot connect to device” errors

Chris

POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH!!

Upon mucking about for a few hours with the wifi adapter driver (unsuccessfully), I came to the realization that I was using the wrong drivers for it. There are two revisions for the Asus N13 - a Revision A and a Revision B - and for whatever reason, I had the drivers for the revB. I’m wondering if the wrong driver install for the wifi adapter was interfering with the Yamaha drivers.

I have installed the proper wifi drivers and the sound still works.

Tentatively installing Win10…

/sigh/

Chris

Well… perhaps I spoke too soon.

I finished installing Win10 and installed the Steinberg drivers. It went fine on the first go- even using the newest Texas Instruments drivers for the FW card.

Shut down and restart. Still fine.

Installed Cubase.

Installed Google Chrome and Waves Control Center, Waves plugins, transferred licences.

Went to bed.

Got up this morning, woke up my computer.

Yamaha FW Driver failed to initialize.

Device manager:
Steinberg FW Bus - this device is working properly; Driver Details = ksthunk.sys and yfwbus.sys (just like last night)
Steinberg MR816 Series - No drivers are installed for this device (strangely, it said that on the other working system too); driver details = ksthunk.sys
View > show hidden devices
Steinbertg FW WDM Audio - Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. - Driver Details = dmk.sys; ksthunk.sys; portcls.sys; yfwaudio.sys

The only thing that changed from when it worked last night to when it failed to initialize this morning was that the computer went to sleep and I woke it up. (some windows updates were installed too, apparently)

Chris

Hi - Im having exactly the same problem with my Yamaha FW driver since installing windows 10. Did you ever find a solution Chris?

Mine wasn’t simply after an upgrade to Windows 10. It was a new computer as well.

My solution was to bring the computer back and exchange it for another model. I believe it was a faulty main board

Worked first time. Haha.

.Chris