MR816 several outputs

Hullo -

I’m struggling with my MR816 outputs. I’ve always mixed on pro tools, but I was thinking the MR816 would work also with other interfaces than Cubase. Does it? I can only get output on one channel at one time. The Yamaha Steinberg FW driver lets me choose one set of speakers and that’s it. Whatever setup I choose is the one I’ll need to stick to when in a session and no switching. Please tell me I’m wrong! Why have lots of outputs digital and analog if we’re not allowed to use them?

Okay, sorry, I’ll take this a little more slowly:
what I need is the ability to switch rapidly between different monitors. I have a pair of Genelecs with digital ins and I’m mixing on these. But I’d also like to use my single Avantone mix cube to check things in mono as well as a couple of grotbox speakers that I really like. If I were planning a multi-out audio interface, then surely I would include a possibility to switch between different monitoring setups either from my whatever recording software a client is using or straight from a controlling software connected to the interface - like the MR editor, in this case. Preferably switching should be made as easy as hitting a key combination or something - we all sometime need to compare stuff on the fly, as it were. Well if such options are available then they do escape me! In fact, I’m finding I can’t switch auditioning channels at all without exiting the recording software first. What a gruesome waste! Leaves me with the option to either get a new interface with more functional I/O behavior, or getting something like the TC Electronics BMC-2 to use the digital output as my one source for the various monitors I use. What a drag! When all that nice I/O is in there and the volume knobs are nice and all …!?

Okay, so please someone tell me that it’s my fault, that I’m being stupid and that the solution is actually very simple. (This is one of those moments when it would be very easy to accept that I’m being dumb! — a pleasure, really!)

best,

Petter

Are you wanting to use the MR with Cubase or Protools. Im a little confused on which? Which DAW?

I use Pro Tools.

ProTools can only use Avid/Digidesign and m-Audio interfaces. So I guess the short answer answer is no.

this isnt totally correct information. Protools native or non HD can be used with any Core Audio compliant I/O

Not according to the Avid ProTools site:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Pro-Tools-11-Approved-Audio-Interfaces-and-Peripherals

No Steinberg interfaces are listed as approved!

Thanks, Svenne -

I’ve had the MR816 for a year or two now, and done a lot of audio work using pro tools and the MR816. I like it a lot more than I liked working on my digidesign Mbox 2 mini. I’ve used additional inputs throgh the adat sometimes and even that worked fine through pro tools.

Output-wise, I was only using the analogue audio 1-2 outs and headphones. No problem there. Now I can also get a nice signal through the spdif now, feeding my new genelec 8240 speakers, and I can control their volume using the second volume knob - great! I can even select - from within pro tools - which output(s) any given tracks outputs to. But that is a laborious process. So my question is therefore this:

Can I use the MR Editor to route my DAW signal so that it outputs simultaneously both my analogue 1-2 and my spdif?

best,

Petter

You should let all the guys using a NON SUPPORTED I/O with Protools know about this list. They seem to be working just fine :unamused:

The DAW return into the MR mixer is routed to all the ports including the SPDIF one as long as you have the fader up on the input group. Under setup make sure you have one of the two SPDIF options selected.

Your best option is to get a monitor switcher of course to select your speakers. You can just change the output buss on the master out in Protools to select 1/2 or the SPDIF connection as long as you have those setup in Protools I/O setup

Hope this helps

I just did that, didn’t I? I wouldn’t call pkorkman’s problems “working just fine”.

Using non-supprted hardware may work if you’re lucky. The reason that you can get some functionality with Core Audio (mac only) interfaces in ProTools, is that m-Audio’s interfaces are Core Audio based. However, you have no guarantees that everything works, and if/when you run into trouble you can’t expect any help from neither manufacturer. You’re on your own.

When it comes top something as imortant as an audio interface, I would never invest in something that isn’t approved by the manufactures. Especially when it comes to such a proponent of closed systems as Avid/Digidesign’s proTools.

Digidesign is well known for never supporting thirdparty software/hardware. Well, they do support thirdparty computers and thirdparty operating systems (OSX and Windows), but that’s about it. This is actually a fact that has me quite concerned about the future of m-Audio and Avid Artists series hardware.

"
Third-party audio interfaces

With Pro Tools, you get the flexibility of using the software with practically any audio interface you already have or want. For ultimate quality and performance, choose one of the bundled Pro Tools hardware/software solutions above. Or pair Pro Tools software with any other audio interface that supports any of the following drivers:

ASIO
Core Audio

"

1. No one expects support form AVID with a Non-Avid product
  2. Hes working just fine with Protools if you missed that part, he has a routing issue that would be common with ANY I/O including an AVID or M-Audio one
  3. What hes wanting to do is simply change his monitoring situation on the fly which requires: 1. A dedicated monitor switcher or 2. Some creative workflow adjustments in Protools. For example, create TWO busses in Protools I/O setup, assign one pair to the MAIN outs 1/2, the other buss to SPDIF via COAX or OPTICAL ADAT. THEN, all thats needed is to change the output assignment on the main out to switch speakers. There are many ways to do this, this is just one example.

BTW, I HAD an approved box from AVID, biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Drivers were horrid. So much for approved units

(to add to what Shanabit correctly said) This list is about Avid-manufactured interfaces. Obviously, there is no Steinberg hardware in it. There is no hardware from any other company either.

1. What hes wanting to do is simply change his monitoring situation on the fly which requires: 1. A dedicated monitor switcher or 2. Some creative workflow adjustments in Protools. For example, create TWO busses in Protools I/O setup, assign one pair to the MAIN outs 1/2, the other buss to SPDIF via COAX or OPTICAL ADAT. THEN, all thats needed is to change the output assignment on the main out to switch speakers. There are many ways to do this, this is just one example.

Thanks! Yeah, okay, so the routing should be done from within pro tools, not in MR editor then, which is what I’d started suspecting. Thanks for confirming. I’m not very familiar with the I/O section in PT either, so this’ll take some exploring, but I’m grateful fo the outline you give there, and I’ll try the bussing approach as you suggest. Thanks!!

Petter

Think of the MR Mixer as an INPUT mixer and it will make sense.