I want to ask the community for a help with my glitchy audio playback on my studio computer. I’ve tried to set a ticket to the Steinberg support, but it doesn’t work for the Czech rep. and it (eventually) redirected me to an email adress steinberg-support.cz.sk[at]email.cz …I wrote czech+english mail, but it is almost 3 weeks and still no reply.
My problem occurs occasionally during playback in all software - Cubase, winamp, VLC, youtube, windows media player, etc., it’s always an izolated dropout/glitch audible from both monitors and headphones, sometimes a few per minute, sometimes one per hour, absolutely random. I’m not a totally newbie into recording and computer building, so I’ve followed all available procedures\tweaking\tests, but with no success. I know that stable recording machines are still using Win7, but I hope that it could be figured also in Win10. I love the MR816 and I want to keep it as long as possible.
My setup is:
motherboard Z370M D3H
CPU Intel i5-8600
256GB SSD for OS + two 1GB HDD for storage
nVidia GTX 1050Ti (pasive cooling)
Windows 10 home 64bit
firewire card Kouwell PE-101 (TI chipset)
Cubase Pro 9.5
All drivers, BIOS, OS, MR firmware and apps are fully updated
Some tests \ more informations \ thoughts:
- I have to stress out, that I don’t have any issues with latency, buffer setting doesn’t matter. Recording itself work like a charm! See attachment for some printscreens - btw, few glitches happened during that metering.
- I had done all recommended system optimalization such as power scheme, disabling mobo audio, disabling system sounds, I don’t have any wi-fi adapter, priority for background services, disabled “powermizer” option for Nvidia, no indexing on HDDs, disbled C-states, move GPU from IRQ to MSI, and many, many others…
- I had tried different cable, other FW port on pcie adapter and on MR816, different FW pcie adapter (VIA), different pcie slots and also that utility for firewire setup (buffer, 400 -> 200).
- Friend of mine brought his MR816csx to me - same issue, so I think that my MR is not a faulty unit.
- I borrowed the Motu 828 mkII and it worked perfectly - owner tells me that it works only with buffer set to 512 or higher, but on my system was 256 ok, so I think that my FW adapter is ok.
I hope that somebody will give me some suggestion to fix that, MR816 is really perfect for me. Some new interfaces are interesting but MR is still great piece of hardware.
Thanks for any reply