multi as vstsound

We can create a layer for HSSE, but the layer is dedicated to a slot so it has only one output bus.
With H5 we could create a vstsound for a Multi where you could assign a different output for each layer/slot so they have different channels in the mixer.

What is the workflow for doing this in H6 ?

Create each layer seperatly and then add them with HS3 in to a program structure.
That looks ok, but i can only save this as a vstpreset, so i would be back with the one bus limitation
Any workaround for this yet ?

kind regards,
R.

I think it might be possible to have up to four layers ‘working’ in SE sound and controller-wise, but they just don’t ‘show up’ under the Sonic SE Edit Tab to the user unless you build some custom Macro pages and Scripts.

I could be wrong, but I did notice some of the HALion factory presets I was able to load in HSSE seem to have more than one layer, and also have a complete macro page for each layer:

Later, I tried to make some of my own multi-layered presets in Halion 6, which I then ‘Exported as SE Layer’. Since I had no macro pages in them at all, I just got a blank Edit Tab in Sonic SE; however, all of the layers still ‘sounded’ as expected, and I could access the Quick Controls for the ‘top most layer’.

Next, I tried some things like making a layered preset for Sonic SE with H6 from “Factory Content” that included macro pages. I’ve not yet been able to create an SE Layer that will display both macro pages (nor both sets of Quick Controls) in SE so far; however, I can nest layers in a way where ‘one’ of the Macro editors shows up in SE, while all of the layers play/make sound.

All of this leads me to conclude that if you want multiple layers in SE, with a macro page for each layer (Like we can get with Sonic 3), then you’ll need to do it via some sort of custom Macro/Scripting options.

Another way to simulate the effect of multiple ‘layers’ is to export each individual layer from Halion 6, then from inside SE itself, make ‘Multi-Presets’, where your layers are simply in different Slots in the SE Instrument Rack. Just have them set to the ‘same MIDI channel’ via the MIDI Tab.

Hey Brian,

Tx for the answer. We’re allmost april now so i progressed a bit in the meantime.
You can control all layers with the macro pages alone, so scripting is not a necessity.
For the moment i’m working on a 40 macropage synth with 4 individual engines. It seems there is no real limit in what direction you want to go, and they have no intent to limit it too because it all depends in what direction you want to go.
You don’t need to give each layer it’s own macro, but you can stack all of them on top of the same program layer. (but you can indeed give each layer it’s own macro page too)

e.g.: if you want a drumlayout you will probably need a macro that adapts to each note-trigger, but has the same configurarion for each note. For the trigger you’ll probably need a script, but you can do it manually with switches too without script. You will need one basic macropage for the first note, and then it is “duplicate/throw in correct stack” as much times as you need, and just adapt the values of each element.
e.g.: if you want a four engine (4-layer) vsti, you will want to make the basic framework first, and then it is “duplicate/place in correct stack” etc… and the only thing that has to change are the values for each element.

I control the entire framework with just two menu elements.
One is select the engine and the other select the page.
Each engine (main stack) has 10 pages (sub stacks), ranging from osc/sample, envelopes, midi modules, busses, etc…
It’s just a matrix but it works fine, that being said it is a very big job to carefully copy/past all those elements on to the right stack since handling those elements gets more and more complex the more stacks you use since they are all layered on top of eachother.
The idea comes from an old SY77 that i have here, and they did it the same way back in 1989, and it is a very logical approach.

If you want to work from this maiframe just P;M; and i’ll send a copy of it. It’s not on the internet yet since this is a lot of work and unfinished. it’s logical though, so once the first string of macro pages is finished, it speeds up quite a bit. (just copy/paste, and adapt value)
The other thing is that i have had a slight overdose of Halion 6 the past days, and i’m detoxing from it since i still need to live a normal live. :laughing:

kind regards,
R.

Followup,

I kept tinkering, and discovered that if I set everything up just right, I can get Multi-Layered presets with Multiple Macros showing in HSSE.

I guess everything simply needs to be set up according to the rules for SE. To end up with this example, I first ‘initialized’ a Rack Slot in HALion 6, then replaced each of the layers 1, 2, 3, 4, with some of the SE Factory Content. Finally, I exported as an HSSE Layer from the very top of the program Tree “Filed named Test in the case above”.

This should indeed give you 4 macro layers at the top level once finished. (which is the max for HSSE i think), but you are using write protected macro’s i see.
the example in your screenshot may give you trouble since those macro’s are write protected once you will make a vstsound.

Look in the manual for Switching Between Multiple Pages Using Radio Buttons.
Replace the words radio buttons with menu buttons
you do not have to name the integer “pages”. You can name it like you want, e.g. saladbar or something else, so you can use multiple integers in the same variable folder. You still need the right connection of each integer to the different macropages, so Set the Value property of the (menu)switch and the Value property of each (sub)stack for each integer correctly.

And then there seems to be no limit on stacking things.

kind regards,
R.

Yes, I realize I would NOT be able to export this as a new library, but since it’s all “Basic Content” all Cubase and Dorico Users could load the Presets into their user “%USERPROFILE%\Document\VST 3 Presets” directory and make use of them. I just wanted to see if I could get multiple layer tabs, each with his own Macro Editor, and a set of Quick Controls to pop up in the Edit Tab to demonstrate that HSSE should be able to do it.