Multi-measure rests breaking at text

1 Like

Yes, I can see what you mean. (You are using the text instead of notated cues.)

How do you do that, Fratveno? It might be a workaround if I can get the text to appear above the staff.

Sorry, this was made in F*, not in D* … and was just meant to illustrate the absolute need for non-breaking (and layout exclusive, i.e not appearing in score) text… text cues (as has been mentioned in other threads as well) is quite common in symphonic and operatic parts …

OIC :slight_smile: . — I have worked around the problem in my viola and piano score by using system text, as advised above, and setting its colour to white in the score, since I only want it to be visible in the part.

This an example of a need to combine measures into multi-bar rests. This is a timpani part and because the tuning and tempo are connected to the first measure there is a break. I don’t see the need here to split and would actually be clearer for the player if it was an 8 measure rest.
Dorico Mulr measure rest.jpg

Kevin, just by way of a workaround, you could attach it to bar 9 (in Write mode) and then drag it back (in Engrave mode). Likewise, with the issue of multirests midway through a flow (rather than at the beginning), you can rhythmically attach the text to just before the multirest, then graphically drag to where it’s needed. You’ll need to do the Engrave mode bit separately in the part and in the score.

So I understand that Dorico automatically breaks multimeasure rests when text is inserted over rhythm. However, I don’t understand why the rests break only on some multimeasure rests, and not others. I believe both text inputs (seen in picture) were created by clicking on the whole rest that was present in the full score. Attached is an individual instrumental part.
Capture.PNG

Are you referring to that fact that, in your picture, ‘D.S. al Fine’ doesn’t cause the multi-bar rest to break? If so, ‘D.S. al Fine’ is not a text item: it’s a repeat item, and hence has special behaviour. The two text items above the staff are showing the expected behaviour for splitting multi-bar rests.

Daniel - for those of us engraving “old” music, I would really love to have more control over the mulit-bar rest feature. Sometimes one wants a rest to divide up into individual groupings based on thematic material (i.e. 4 4 8 , rather than 16), particularly in percussion and tuba parts where there are many times rests for days. I would try to accomplish this using a text cue, but the issue that Kevin points out above doesn’t simply re-group the multi-measure rest, but actually gives me one empty measure (with whole rest) preceded and followed by a multi measure rest. Even in the 4 4 8 scenario, it would be advantages to have text displayed over or under the barline/multi-bar rest without breaking out a single measure. Leo’s work around is cumbersome and doesn’t work in all scenarios for displaying the text.

My next work around for forcing a multi-bar rest grouping would be a written out (notated) cue, however, the Percussion “kit” feature in 5 line staff mode (which most percussion parts I work with would require), doesn’t work with the cue tool. Currently, I believe the mult-bar options are either “on” or “off” for an entire layout, which is far too broad of a metric when engraving a 14 movement (flow) ballet.

Simply put, I believe I speak for several users when I say we need a manual way to break a multi-bar rest and force a multi-bar rest with our specific parameters. This should be feasible without disrupting Dorico’s super smart spacing and notation features, shouldn’t it?

Thanks for considering.
Justin

Justin, your post doesn’t seem to mention the use of Engrave > Split Mult-Bar Rest. This feature was added in 2.2 and might reduce the need for workarounds, particularly where you want to break a larger multirest into Rests that match the phrase lengths.

Welcome to the forum, Justin. I hope that, as Leo describes, the Engrave > Split Multi-bar Rest feature does what you’re after, but please let me know if you find it deficient in some way.

Looks like I’m still on 2.0, so I will upgrade and look into this. It might solve some of the glitching I’m having with my kit part Does Dorico have a feature to notify the user that updates are available? (as an orchestra librarian, part of the issue is that I may work in Dorico for a week, then not touch it for several weeks before spending another day in it. Not ideal for sure!)

When you open Dorico a hub window opens. On the right side of that there’s a news feed. Alternatively, pop into this forum every once in a while - there’s always a pinned thread right at the top of the forum called “Dorico Pro X.Y.Z available now”.

Thanks Leo - and it looks like the update does give the control over MM Rests I was looking for and eliminates those pesky single bars where text is located. Thanks for the advice.

Daniel -is it possible to have Dorico bring up a “restart now” dialogue box after updates are installed? On more than one occasion and more than one workstation we have manually installed missing fonts when all that needed to happen was restart the computer. *sigh

The installer does prompt you to reboot if new fonts are installed, but it’s easy to breeze past it since it is only a recommendation, I believe, rather than a mandatory restart.

Hi folks, I have system text breaking multi-bar rests unnecessarily. as shown. How can I remove this split, and show a 16-bar multi-bar rest, retaining the position of the system text “Verse 1”? I see the Engrave > Split Multi-Bar Rest option when I select the rest, but that function appears to be for inserting splits, not for removing them.
I’m running 2.2
multi-bar rest.JPG

I think this behavior was fixed in 2.2.20, if I remember correctly. Have you updated to the final version of 2?

And is the text item placed at the downbeat of the measure, or a later rhythmic position?

Hi Dan and thanks. I’m running 2.2.20. No, the text item is not on the downbeat, because most of my parts have notes and chord symbols, and it’s tidier to place the text a little to the right of the downbeat. I see that placing the text on the downbeat fixes the issue. But, that means that I have to manually adjust MOST of my parts, because it’s only a few that have the multi-bar rest. It doesn’t appear to be an efficient way to work. :frowning:

Sorry, but that is most definitely by design. If anything is attached to the middle of a bar, that bar is not empty, and can’t be included in a multi-bar rest. Text items have to be attached to the downbeat.