Multi measure rests number on single measure

Hello,
I need help to hide a single measure number when multi bar rest is on. I don’t want switch off because it is useful on other multi bars.
Schermata 2020-12-29 alle 13.52.38

There’s an option in Engraving Options > Rests for whether single bar rests should show the number or not.

If you want to hide just this single one, you’d need some sort of a workaround in order to “break” the multi-bar rest. A blank playing technique, perhaps?

1 Like

I like blank text objects for this sort of thing! Just add a space and close the popover.

1 Like

As usual, Thanks :pray:

I have the same problem in Dorico Elements 4. Is there a way to get rid of this useless number “1” in Dorico Elements?

@Michal_Oberman
You have now posted this question in three threads. Please don’t.

I realize you are new to the forum, and you are most welcome here; but the Development Team (and quite a few other users) read every post and log anything they need to work on later.
Posting the same thing in multiple threads leads to extra work and also leads to solutions from different folks on different threads, which can confuse those that come after. So multiple posting (and bumping threads) are discouraged here.

Sorry if I seem to be landing on you the first time you have joined us. You are certainly welcome here.

Thanks,

I’m sorry for flooding the forum with the same issue. It won’t repeat. Anyway, I guess writing your email above to me took you some three or four minutes of your precious time. And I’m convinced that replying to my post question (addressing the problem that concerns several other users) would take considerably less time.

I imagine a simple answer like this in the forum that would take literally 30 seconds:

A.) no, it’s not possible
or
B.) yes, read the user manual on page x

Then there won’t be issues like myself, desperately seeking an advice to resolve a FLAW IN BASIC FUNCTIONS of the most advanced music engraving software in the world. This is not sarcasm at all, just me reasoning. And as a gesture of good will, I’m writing you this message privately to avoid any public misunderstanding on the forum…

Wishing you all the best and hoping that the level of communication improves on both sides. And also wishing that my problem will be resolved very soon. Otherwise I will look stupid and unprofessional in the eyes of my customers. And that is one thing that no business can afford. Not me and not you.

Sincerely
Michal Oberman

AFAIK it is not possible in Elements, only Pro.

Elements has a reduced functionality. Pro may well be the most advanced, so by definition Elements cannot be too.

Hi Janus,

Thanks for your swift reply, kudos for that. :ok_hand:

Anyway, what you (for obvious reasons) diplomatically call a reduced functionality in Dorico Elements, would be called a flaw by anyone else. Sorry, that is a flaw! It is a children’s mistake that looks very poorly on every score and distracts the musicians by sight reading. And if your marketing department thinks that such policy is the best way to bring customers to buy Dorico Pro… well, this made me start to search what your competition has to offer and see if their promises vs. excuses vs. reality are more in balance than the ones of your company.

I hate to write this as I’ve been a loyal Steinberg customer (Cubase) for some 20 years. But hey, one door closed might mean that another one just opens for me – thank you for reminding me of this. :wink:

Cheers
Michal

FYI, I’m just a user, as are the majority of folks on the forum.

2 Likes

Michal, just to set you straight, every single person in this (public) thread is a Dorico user. Steinberg staff show a small red and white Steinberg logo in their user avatar.
Not that anyone should be bad-mouthing the people that develop Dorico; they’re hard-working, competent, friendly people.

Furthermore, Elaine Gould’s Behind Bars, which is widely-respected as a 21st century notation bible, advocates for a “1” to be shown above single bar rests in parts. This is a case of house style: some publishers use them, others don’t, but it’s far from a “children’s mistake”.

Privately?
Michal, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Leo,

thanks. You guys are doing wonderful job of replying swiftly. :heart_eyes:

1. I’m sorry that you all are volunteering in a user forum of a product, that has (in some aspects) a poorly written user manual to substitute for a job of a developer. Sadly, this has become somewhat a trend in recent years. Not only with software.

2. If you try to imply that I’m bad mouthing someone, you’re far off! I stated this clearly in my first reply where I wrote that I keep this conversation private to avoid any misunderstanding. I strongly protest against such implications!

3. Writing the “1” above a single measure rest is duplicite, counterproductive and distracting for a sight reader. Therefore a mistake that might lead to a possible mistake in musical performance. Please do not mix this with the same procedure being made with accidentals. That is a completly different reason: To avoid mistakes, not to create a room for making a performing mistake (as in case of putting a useless number on a single rest). This must be clear to anyone. Even to a child, that’s why I called a children’s mistake, no matter what Elaine Gould thinks. Simply put: Making the message (not only a music score) clear, simple and comprehendible should be the only “biblical code” of the post-information age. And as much as I enjoy an intelligent conversation with you (I really do), I am deeply sorry that I must explain this to you and steal your and my precious time discussing issues that are far beyond the scope of my problem.

Wishing you all the best
Michal

1 Like

Privately? Uuupss! :grinning:
Well I got this as an email and replied to an email. It’s not my fault (and not yours obviously), that this email is published on the forum without my consent (as I just found out). That is a poor job of someone else…

Michal

1 Like

Not clear what you intended, but maybe you… didn’t?
(Edit after seeing your last post: to be fair, you intended it to be private. OK, but please, don’t blame others for your mistake. If the forum sends you a mail, then a reply is a reply to the forum.)

Nope. I could show you plenty of mainstream orchestral parts where a single bar rest is marked with a big fat ‘1’ every time. It’s standard practice, and contrary to what you think, it’s a very helpful aid in (sight)reading. A simple empty bar with a whole rest is just too easy to overlook.

2 Likes

Well all this thread just proves my point: WE ALL are just piling stocks of useless, duplicite info. That means we just spammed this thread, didn’t help anyone and anyone who didn’t read it from the beginning would be just confused. Sign of the times unfortunately. :frowning:
I’m signing off to make some music. Have a nice day everyone.

1 Like