Multi-out VST effect routing?

If my VST effect allows for multiple outputs (4 in my case), is there a way in Cubase to route and get audio from them? Right now it just sends the main channel 1-2 directly out to the instrument track.

press F11 to get your VST instrument rack displayed - load the instrument there in the rack and not as track instrument - on the right side of the instrument name in the rack there are 3 icons - hover the one on the far right and it will say ā€œactive outputsā€ - Select which outputs you would like to have active

Yes, thatā€™s the process to get multiple outputs from VST instruments, but I donā€™t suppose it works the same for VST effects?

I guess I got confused from reading it. Which plugin are you working with?

Iā€™m working with Voltage Modular, the FX version. Someone asked the same question before with a different plugin: Routing Multiple Inputs/Outputs thru VST effects - Virtual Effects and Add-ons - Steinberg Forums He unfortunately didnā€™t get any answers

No, instruments and effects are not the same so it donā€™t work the same way. I donā€™t really know what you want to acheive exactly but if you want to route your audio to a new destination check out the sends (pre/post) or direct routing options in the mixer I would guess is your best bet.

If it has four outputs you need a quadrofon channel. That is possible in Cubase when you create a new track. You can have up to 7 channel. I suggest to put the effect into a fx or group bus.

Hereā€™s another example similar to what Iā€™m trying to achieve HoRNet 3XOver overview - YouTube
Is it possible to do this in Cubase?

i am also curious how to this, the first time i wanted this in cubase, was with UA triad, it has 8 outputsā€¦

i thought of other channel settings as kontrath, didnā€™t try that yet. but it is pity, that cubase can do multiple outs with vst effects. (reason can do it, reaper, so if i want it i use themā€¦). and it seems from the video that keyxmusic posted it can also be done in ableton, didnā€™t know that.

sometimes it has handy to have more dawā€™s, but cubase still is my main daw.

At least one way to do it.

Make a Group Channel Track, and set it for the output configuration you desire. There are more than a dozen choices, from Mono, on up to multi-channel fancy surround sound configurations.

Host VST Effects that are quad/surround/etc. in the groupā€™s insert slots.

Route and pan other tracks or instrument buses into the group as needed. As you route tracks/instruments to the group, you should notice that the panner type changes; thus, allowing you to pan things out as youā€™d like them to enter the multi-channel ā€œgroupā€.

Example:

Two HALion 6 stereo ports routed into a Quad Group, with a Quad Channel Mixer Delay VST FX. HALionā€™s Outputs 1&2 are panned to the front, while 3&4 are panned to the rear. The Group is routed to the main Quad Output (optional, depending on where you want to send the mix, and/or how youā€™d like to monitor itā€¦its also possible to leave the group unconnected, and monitor things through the the Control Room).

Donā€™t forget that you can use the ā€œLeft Zoneā€ of the Mixer to show and hide channels as needed. I.E. You could combine several channels of VSTi into a a single group with multi-channel effects, and once youā€™ve got them set up as you like, hide all the instrument busses, but keep the Group(s) visible for easier mixing.

Note, you can also direct the ā€œSendsā€ of a track or instrument bus into a group, and specify which channelsā€¦as opposed to direct routing. Hence, it would be possible to host a multi-channel effect chain and simply ā€˜sendā€™ signals to it for a traditional wet/dry/parallel sort of mix.

1 Like