Multi out VST

I’m still a cubase noob.

I tried to follow http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/385/cubase-guide-multiple-outputs/ to set up Battery in Cubase.

If I add Battery 4 as a Track Instrument and activate all output. No additional tracks show up until I click Find tracks, and then they all show up and work as I would expect. One annoyance through is that whatever I name St 1/2 it also names the track above it where the Midi notes sit. I would like to name the track above with the Midi “Drums” and name St 1/2 “Kick”, but it seems impossible.

If I add Battery4 as a Rack Instrument, all the lanes show up, but I don’t know how to get the VST to show up for editing! I also have a track named Battery 4 and am not sure if that is where the midi goes or not, because it created after a prompt a seperatre midi track under all the others. I can’t do anything either way, because I can’t figure out how to get the VST to show itself for editing. The buttons I am used to for track instrument are gone.

Yeah, this is my biggest gripe about the multi-out Instrument Tracks (IT). There’s obviously something difficult about the code. That first, main track is stuck as being the placeholder for the VSTi, and the first output. Hope they can fix this soon. For now, all my drum setups are called “Kick”. :frowning:

If I add Battery4 as a Rack Instrument, all the lanes show up, but I don’t know how to get the VST to show up for editing! I also have a track named Battery 4 and am not sure if that is where the midi goes or not, because it created after a prompt a seperatre midi track under all the others. I can’t do anything either way, because I can’t figure out how to get the VST to show itself for editing. The buttons I am used to for track instrument are gone.

I can’t remember if I had to assign it or not, but hotkey-able! I hit “V” while any Channel that had anything to do with the VSTi is selected, and voila! Up pops the VSTi!
You can also:
hit the “K” button on VST Output tracks in MixConsole.
Tap the little keyboard icon in the Inspector of a selected track in Project Arranger window.

Yeah, this is my biggest gripe about the multi-out Instrument Tracks (IT). There’s obviously something difficult about the code. That first, main track is stuck as being the placeholder for the VSTi, and the first output. Hope they can fix this soon. For now, all my drum setups are called “Kick”. :frowning:

I can’t remember if I had to assign it or not, but it’s hotkey-able! I hit “V” while any Channel that has anything to do with the VSTi is selected, MIDI Channel or VST output, and voila! Up pops the VSTi! Hit "V"again, and it disappears!

You can also:
hit the “K” button on VST Output tracks in MixConsole.
Tap the little keyboard icon in the Inspector of a selected track in Project Arranger window.

To open the instrument GUI…
Select any MIDI track or instrument channel connected to the instrument and, in the inspector, there is an icon that looks like about four vertical lines that opens the instrument.
Or, in the mixer…
Click and hold on the “E” (the channel settings). A short click opens channel settings and a long click opens the instrument.
HTH
J.L.

Hey, just to help @ejneer with his difficulty:

Yeah, this is my biggest gripe about the multi-out Instrument Tracks (IT). There’s obviously something difficult about the code. That first, main track is stuck as being the placeholder for the VSTi, and the first output. Hope they can fix this soon. For now, all my drum setups are called “Kick”. > :frowning:

Man, if you select the midi track you assigned to a VST instrument and browse all the tabs in the inspector, in the “channel” tab (might be a different name, look for it) you’ll find the selection dropdown of which output you wanna assign to that midi track.

Then, when you hit “e” to open the channel settings you’ll be in the correct audio output of the instument, for examplo kick, snare, hihat, etc…

This has been in Cubase at least since Cubase 5. Probably there’s no info anywhere since it’s such a specific problem, 90% of the users probably don’t even think about that kind of stuff…

H4ve phun!