Multimeasure Rests Broken after Instrument Change

Daniel,

My trial version ran out, and I stopped checking in on the forums. I’m glad to see this fix has been implemented, and I’m looking forward to using this software more!

Hello,
Here is another example of multiple rests not consolidating into a multi-bar rest.
Thanks for any tip that could help getting the multi-bar rest…

Trimmed down the project, zipped it, but still too big to upload (there should probably be a feature to thin dorico files after deleting flows, players, etc, the file shouldn’t be so big…) Anyway, here it is:
https://iowa-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/jchrles_uiowa_edu/EbDXC4hHlx1LnpkSAWgtyeMBjXLqlEzBPwdLZukkZ-xZkA?e=3U6yll

Switch your playback template to Silence and it’ll shave off about 80% of the file size.

Great, thanks for the tip!
Here is a much more compact version… Also a screenshot showing the problem.

The file didn’t make it. Here it is.
multi-bar-rests.dorico.zip (421 KB)

Right this minute I can’t offer an explanation for this, but I’ll discuss it with the team and come back to you.

I don’t know why this hasn’t happened automatically, but the solution is to set the “ends voice” property for the final note/rest that each instrument has. I’ve highlighted the relevant rests here:

Indeed, it also worked in my larger file. Thanks!

Interesting: Leo’s trick doesn’t save with the file. Try it, save, reopen, the multibar rests have disappeared. They reappear whether you check or uncheck the “End Voice” toggle…

There’s a bug here concerning multi-bar rest ranges and grace notes, which we’ll fix as soon as we can. Hopefully the fix will make it into the forthcoming minor bug fix update.

Not a multi-bar rest issue, just a single note.
Flute plays a quaver at beginning of 4/4 bar. Instrument change to Piccolo, shown immediately after. All rests for the remainder of the bar then disappear, so the bar just looks as if it has a quaver and an instrument change. I can’t find a way to restore the rests. What have I done wrong this time? (I’m on 2.2.10.)

This looks like a “end voice immediately” property problem. Select the note and check that this is not ticked, or at least “after barline”

Done that. Nothing’s ticked for any notes before or after, nor rests…

That is to say, I had already done that. There were no boxes ticked; I really can’t see why it’s not showing the rests.

Have you switched to Galley View and ensured that both parts had “ends voice” switched off?

Yes - just checked it again. Everything is off; I’ve checked both instruments, every note where the flute ends (for both flute and picc staves), and every note where piccolo begins a few bars later (both flute and picc staves). No boxes were or are ticked. I don’t see why, but is it because the flute bar only has one note in it? (Hardly seems likely to be a factor I know.) It’s fine in the full score (in both galley and page view); fine in the part (galley view); just not in the page view.

One other odd thing: despite telling it to show bar numbers in galley view, it doesn’t; though it does for the remaining two movements. No idea whether that’s connected (don’t see how).

It certainly could be related. When you turn on the system track, does it seem to display correctly as individual bars, or an one long grey bar? Is this an XML import?

Bit of a long shot here - scroll back to the last time signature on the Flute 2 stave, and select it (in the score).

Is it local, like this?

or global, like this?

Now check for the last time signature on the Piccolo stave, too, and answer the same question for that.

In Galley view, the part has the continuous grey system track, with barlines but no bar numbers.
No, not an XML import; created direct in Dorico (first in 2.1, and upgraded as these were issued).

Pianoleo: in full score, Galley view, if I select the last time signature on the Flute 2 stave, all time sigs are selected; ditto for the Piccolo stave. I’ve got some weird and wonderful time sigs elsewhere, but this is a basic 4/4.
I then did the same in the part in Galley View; both time sigs were selected.

Can you click on individual bars using the system track? Or when you click in one spot, does a huge range turn orange?

I think you’ll need to post it here, if you can.