Multiple alternative chord symbols

Right, MusAnalysis is even better for this. Hadn’t thought of that.

I even found out how to do things like
(that I had previously thought impossible) by entering C7(b#193) and then manually superscripting the parenthesized expression. So the 1 and the 9 are stacked, and then the 3 starts a new stack :slight_smile:
But maybe there is a better way to do that.

By the way, @dan_kreider: In the MusGlyphs/Analysis manuals, to make MS Word kerning/ligature-aware, the following instruction is unnecessary:

• Select MusAnalysis in the dropdown list, then select the Advanced tab.

because those settings are bound to the current paragraph, not to the font selected in the other tab.

This also means that if you create a new paragraph that doesn’t inherit the properties of the previous one, you need to set those options again.

Chiming in here just to say that I too need a way to enter alternate chord symbols. I hope that’s not coming as late as with V5 … please? I love Dorico, but I thought that with V4 this would be possible.

1 Like

Chiming in as well, for me the alternative method by adding chords to the next smallest subdivision and relocating the chord in Engrave mode does the trick for now but it would be REALLY nice if…
can we use the F* word here? I mean F*nale…

There’s no problem in writing Finale.

3 Likes

Has there been any changes related to this in V5? For me the inability of easily create alternate chords (like in the Autum Leaves snippet shown before) is a really big deal.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Roberto_Fasciolo!

No, there’s no change in regard to this.

Just wanted to see if there’s any update on when genuine alternative (i.e. not just parenthesized optional chord sequences, but two chords over the same beats) chord symbols will be available?

Really important feature for me for both jazz lead sheets and big band charts etc.

There’s been no change with this. The team doesn’t typically announce features in advance, other than immediately preceding the release, so there’s no new news here. I completely agree this is really important and needs to be implemented.

3 Likes

Just wanted to weigh in on the topic, I really need this too and hope it will be implemented at some point.

Cheers

1 Like

I really hope this will be implemented too. And Chord Symbols really need an ease way of customization (like is possible in Finale).

2 Likes

Wondering if this feature will be added at some point. There is a real need for it.

It will definitely be added in future, yes, though I can’t say for sure when it will be implemented.

1 Like

Yes please to this feature!
It’s a given to be able to do this in jazz & commercial writing