Multiple Instruments, one label (Percussion)

Hi,

I would like one label for multiple instruments, as is the custom for many scores that have percussion parts.
So for instance:
Timpani
Mallet Percussion: Glockenspiel and Vibra
Percussion 1: Bass Drum, Snare Drum
Percussion 2: Triangle, Suspended Cymbal

I don’t want to call all of them Percussion or Perc. because they’d get autonumbered and quite frankly it seems a bit arbitrary.

All help appreciated!

1 Like

The Glock and Vibra can’t be combined into a kit because they’re pitched. You can group them with brackets fairly easily, or place them both in one player and do an instrument change. There’s not currently a way to add a group name in Setup mode. You’d need to add the group name using Shift-X, turn off collision avoidance, and drag it to the left of the staves.

To group the Bass drum and snare, add them to the same player (add one, then Shift-I to add another to the same player), and right-click, “Combine instruments into kit.” Then you can name the kit whatever you want.

You can always break automatic numbering by editing the instrument names.
percussion kit.png

Ok, thanks a lot, Dan!

Dan, you write:

“You’d need to add the group name using Shift-X, turn off collision avoidance, and drag it to the left of the staves.”

Could you explain how this is done? I don’t get it. I can enter a text using Shift-X (Write Mode?), but I can’t drag it to the left of the staves. How do I turn off the collision avoidance? How do I remove the (wrong) label that dorico places?

Torsten

Select the text item, open the Properties panel, and activate the ‘Avoids collisions’ property: when the property is active but switched off, the text item will not avoid collisions with other items. You can drag or nudge its position in Engrave mode.

Is there a way to not have to Shift-X this on every different page?

Use alt-click?